Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

GS1100EZ painting (my rattle can work)...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS1100EZ painting (my rattle can work)...

Hey guys,

I've still got to clean things up a bit but figured I'd share some shots with the group.

I stripped the old crusty job off the side panels on my 1100E and sanded down just a bit. I did have some issues with the red paint originally not taking dark enough so I had to start over with a primer coat.

Primer was cheap walmart can but the paint colors are by Dupli-color.

I've got to say that I was pretty impressed by the new (simple) flat nozzle, sort of like on pressure washers. Applying paint uniformly was actually pretty good.

I've still got to work on the badging and cleaning up some small spots but overall I'm somewhat happy with my first ever attempt here.

Process I followed:
    tapped middle off to keep from getting painted and put three rows of striping down, then removing the center stripe.
    Painted black on first.
    Then I masked over the black, removed the stripes and covered over the black pinstripe while laying down the red coat.
    Last edited by Guest; 05-26-2011, 03:55 PM. Reason: typo

Looking good!

Comment

That's a great job especially for your first attempt and a rattle can!

Comment

Updated work. Getting closer...

Tank, black coat.

My homemade decals for the side panels (not perfect but acceptable I think)

Side panel with decal

Tank with Decal (sorry about the poor lighting)

I'm done with the vast majority of the work. I'm up to laying down a few layers of clear and will be doing some 1200 grit sanding to try and get it even and shiny.

Comment

Looks nice. I like the decals. A final wet sanding with at least 2000 grit will make it nice and smoooooooth. Be very careful around edges though.
          Current Bikes:
          2001 Yamaha FZ1 (bought same one back)

Comment

Working...
          X