Advice on painting etc.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Advice on painting etc.

I am looking for some advice on painting and restoring my bike to its former glory. Some of the issues I am dealing with.
    1 someone stole my sidecovers so for now I have 2 unpainted ones. I have located one painted one on ebay, but am still searching for the right side painted, or should I buy one and have the other side painted ?
    2 front fender, this is a priority as it stands out the most.
    3 slightly cracked and scuffed fairing, low priority, it doesn't look as bad as in the photo.
    4 scuffed aluminum cover. don't know what to do about that.
    5 battery acid took black chrome off of right side exhaust. didn't like it in the first place, too easy to scratch.
    Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. want to do this somewhat economically. Hopefully there will be photos below if I uploaded them properly ??

Old age and treachery will beat youth and skill every time
    Originally Posted by Schweisshund I mean, sure, guns were used in some of these mass shootings, but not all of them
    1983 GS 750

If you were looking into restoring it paint wise, lots of time spent is on prep.
    lots of 600-1000 grit sanding paper and wetsand is where you will be spending most of your time.

painting without primer

sand until clear all gone and evenly sanded
    repaint with new base sand out uneven parts,
    paint, sand again, and paint final coat evenly as possible.
    As for clear coat, you will need to spray it without runs.

aim for 2-3 coats, more is better like 5-6 coats, it'll keep the shine longer, tougher against scratches and easier to fix with more coats.

Maybe I'll see you riding around when I get my baby on the road.

Comment

Thanks for the paint advice. Any thoughts on what to do about the exhaust and the side cover. Was thinking of some kind of high heat paint, glossy if possible. The header pipes are fine. GO CANUCKS !!!!
      Old age and treachery will beat youth and skill every time
      Originally Posted by Schweisshund I mean, sure, guns were used in some of these mass shootings, but not all of them
      1983 GS 750

Comment

Working...
      X