Polishing mag wheels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Polishing mag wheels

I have an extra set of mag wheels for my GS1000 and Ive been thinking about trying to polish them out, fully. I did a quick search online to see if this is even a possibility and it appears that it is on other bikes with mags but I didnt see any vintage mags that have been done. The term "mag", to me, is in reference to the material which the wheels are made from, Magnesium, but Im not sure if there is any variation in the term to just mean the style of wheel alone. Can anyone provide some insight into this for me please?

Look real closely at the "spokes" on the mags. They will probably look like 60 grit sandpaper with black paint on them. That gritty part is tough as nails.

I started to try to polish some GS450 mags, and could not get those sections to smooth out. At least not without some power tools......

Comment

Ya I noticed that. I was thinking about hitting it with a 120 grit flap wheel, then 220 grip paper, followed by the standard 400, 800, 1000, 1500, 2000 process. The hardest part would be getting into the corners and such since they are so little and there isnt much space for anything power related or fingers either. The more I sit here looking at them, the more it looks like it would be WAY more work than it'd be worth. But, thats why I turn to y'all, hoping someone might possible have tried already.

Comment

the most common answer with these wheels is to polish the rims and paint the "spokes". looks good if done properly
        1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

"Mag"wheels...

Hi guys,

over here in Blighty(England)we call them cast wheels as that's what they are - cast alloy."Mag"wheels is an anachronism as very few cast wheels were ever magnesium - English race car wheel maker Minilite and Italian wheel maker Campagnolo(for Ferrari and Lamborghini + other exotics)were truly Magnesium alloy.

I think the US aftermarket wheel maker Morris might have made motorcycle wheels in Magnesium(used on Wes Cooley's famous GS's)back in the late 70s.

Lesters were cast alloy not Magnesium...some modern wheel makers: Marchenisi and Dymag make wheels in Magnesium-commonly used in World Superbike and Moto GP.

As for cast alloy GS wheels, IMO they look best nicely painted gloss black and the"highlights";spokes and rims, highly polished.

Hope this helps.

Prufrock.
          Last edited by Guest; 06-07-2011, 11:12 AM.

Comment

'78 GS1000E, Dyna-S ignition, Dyna Green Coils, K&N pods, Delkevic SS 4-1 exhaust, Dynojet Stage 3 jet kit, Russell SS Brake Lines, Progressive suspension, Compu-Fire series Regulator 55402 and Advmonster cree LED headlight conversion.

Comment

I did mine at kitchen sink wet sanding to 1500 or 2000# Then used
              mother's. think the clear coat took away some of the shine though.
              Store your photos and videos online with secure storage from Photobucket. Available on iOS, Android and desktop. Securely backup your memories and sign up today!

Comment

I don't believe in the use of paper to polish aluminum wheels. I've done MANY wheels, both automotive and motorcycle, in my shop and have yet to use paper or film to polish anything. I use it only to remove scratches or light damage.

A few GSR members have seen the results.
                Last edited by Guest; 06-07-2011, 04:54 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by GS ace View Post
                  I don't believe in the use of paper to polish aluminum wheels. I've done MANY wheels, both automotive and motorcycle, in my shop and have yet to use paper or film to polish anything. I use it only to remove scratches or light damage.

A few GSR members have seen the results.
                  most people do not own or have access to machine shop polishers.
                  i have my own but still use good old wet and dry to get a perfect finish before it hits the mops
                  1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

Working...
                  X