Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Has anyone ever converted to cafe racer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Has anyone ever converted to cafe racer?

Thinking about doing it... At a crossroads on this project. Wondering how it generally turns out, how difficult/expensive it is, and general positive/negative experiences.
    Cos then I could be like

I kinda did it. Click on the GS450 in my signature.

Comment

Originally posted by Flaming Chainsaws View Post
      I kinda did it. Click on the GS450 in my signature.
      Quite a process you went through. How did you like the end product?

Oh hey, you live in Seatac? I live in Edmonds.

Re: Big Boy, a) you seem very picky about your battery? Maybe I screwed up, but I got a replacement at a place down the street for $40, filled and charged. b) I have a tender. c) I may be headed to Tacoma this weekend, and would be down to look at how that motor goes back together.

Comment

Originally posted by 46hand View Post
        Quite a process you went through. How did you like the end product?

Oh hey, you live in Seatac? I live in Edmonds.

Re: Big Boy, a) you seem very picky about your battery? Maybe I screwed up, but I got a replacement at a place down the street for $40, filled and charged. b) I have a tender. c) I may be headed to Tacoma this weekend, and would be down to look at how that motor goes back together.
        I really liked how the GS450 was turning out but it had to be sold for a few reasons... I assume that you would be doing it to your GS850G? It can be done. A few guys here have done it.

Oh yeah... About the GS1100E. I just wanted an AGM battery since there is no need to add any water, won't spill, and is basically maintenance free.

Feel free to come over anytime .

Comment

I'm in the process of getting a bike that was once cafe'd out back together - so I got some nice parts out of the sale (rolling chassis) and the frame was already chopped down. Due to a lack of funds I'll be keeping true to the spirit and will try to make what I can like the seat / headlight brackets... Just got the carbs back on her today - need to figure out the whole electrical situation. Pretty frustrated about it.

Comment

Flaming Chainsaws- Yeah this would be on my 850. I just think the bike would take nicely to that look, never had one or done one before.

DCrippa- If I do this, hopefully I won't be undoing it anytime soon! Sounds like you have a huge amount of work ahead of you.

One huge issue is I don't have a full time garage to work in, just for storage... Oh well, I have until the rain to think about it.

Comment

I was assessing the situation today and yeah it is a bit of work - mostly hard because I'm still missing parts - battery & wiring, fuel lines, washers spacers and bolts for the rear suspension - bolts for the exhaust - bolts for the foot pegs and a slip on or remainder of the 4-1 header that I have. Bolt for the tank.

It has clip ons so the stock headlight brackets aren't going to work. Have some miscellaneous electrical parts and a wire harness but I'm now thinking - I only need a tail light and a headlight - ditch everything else no speedo and no tach should keep it really simple (if it's legal gotta find out). Wish I had made this decision before scooping all this crap off eBay. The stock instrument cluster is just too big - and I definitely don't like the angle of the bracket - if I can bend it flat I may use it but mocking it up today didn't look promising.

I really just need to see if I can get her running and then contemplate the rest.
              Last edited by Guest; 06-07-2011, 10:40 PM.

Comment

There have been several 850 cafe projects around here in a the last couple years. A search should turn them up. In my opinion, they never really achieve the "lightness" of the look. Find the previous project, and see how you think they turned out.
                Dogma
                --
                O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
                '80 GS850 GLT
                '80 GS1000 GT
                '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

An 850G is way too big of a bike to be a cafe racer. They are such a pleasure to ride in stock form I wouldn't want to mess with it. (just opinions)

Comment

A guy here called Octain has cafe'd an 850G I believe.

Comment

+1, the heaviest of the heavy, the most comfortable, it is silly to cafe one.
                      Besides, it's a shafty, so you are joking, right?

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

DCrippa, I don't know how tall you are, but clip ons with no rear sets can make for a real pain in the neck. Literally. Could try drag bars first. Most likely a speedo will be required by law. However it may or may not need to be seen all the time- I've seen them mounted on the forks before.

If you look at headlight buckets on motorcycles in the 60's, many of them have the speedo mounted inside the headlight bucket. Just food for thought.

Comment

For my tastes this thread would have to be the best 750 I've seen so far...

Are you doing a restoration project of some kind on a GS? Let everyone see what you are doing by posting the details here.

Generally though I agree with Truth and personally think that twins make the best cafes, but of course there are many superb examples of twins and fours...
                          1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
                          1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
                            Besides, it's a shafty, so you are joking, right?
                            Here is a factory 850 Shafty cafe racer from the 70's. Maybe you could find one of these and swap the body work.
                            sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

You can cafe almost anything. Like this Gold Wing:

Comment

Working...
                              X