I guess this goes under appearance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I guess this goes under appearance

Because my speedometer refuses to agree with me, it say's I'm going 45 even when I'm going 65… Even when my rpms are 5500 in 5th gear.. hmmm, it does not appear to being truthful, maybe it is angry at the tach?

Got any buddies that are cops or friends of cops?? Have one of them do some speedo runs with their radar guns.. Agree on a few different speeds withn them and then have them gun you to see where the speedo versus gun varies. They may look at youn like your crazy but they like to play a bit once in a while too.
    MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
    1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

That may be a possibility, I was also thinking if I had a small GPS on the bike I could get an accurate read. I suppose the mechanics of the speedo are ill, there must be some sort of slipper mechanism that is worn out internally.

Comment

Its all nylon worm gear drives in there.. If you gently pry the crimp up around the bezel house you can access the inside, Pry a little at a time all the way around and keep going bits at a time till you get the crimp straightened up. then gently use a flat tip and small hammer to recrimp once your cleaned and regreased the worm gears. What usually happens is the factory grease hardens and they dont turn as freely. a good cleaning will probably fix the problems. Use the search feature. I know there are pics of this process out there.
        1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Originally posted by TPL View Post
          Because my speedometer refuses to agree with me, it say's I'm going 45 even when I'm going 65… Even when my rpms are 5500 in 5th gear.. hmmm, it does not appear to being truthful, maybe it is angry at the tach?
          You have more wrong than you realize.

If this is on your 850, at 5500 RPM in fifth gear, you should be going 75-77 mph.

That is GPS speed, not GS speed, although they are remarkably close on our three 850s. I think they are ALL within 2 mph of actual.

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by chuck hahn View Post
            Its all nylon worm gear drives in there.. If you gently pry the crimp up around the bezel house you can access the inside, Pry a little at a time all the way around and keep going bits at a time till you get the crimp straightened up. then gently use a flat tip and small hammer to recrimp once your cleaned and regreased the worm gears. What usually happens is the factory grease hardens and they dont turn as freely. a good cleaning will probably fix the problems. Use the search feature. I know there are pics of this process out there.
            Thanks, that's what I will do. I did try the search but didn't find the thread you are referring too. I'll keep looking.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
              You have more wrong than you realize.

If this is on your 850, at 5500 RPM in fifth gear, you should be going 75-77 mph.

That is GPS speed, not GS speed, although they are remarkably close on our three 850s. I think they are ALL within 2 mph of actual.

I knew I was moving on down the road pretty good, the speedo just starts to bounce at 45, the gauges still look very nice externally so I'll give it a go at fixing them up, cleaning and re-grease.

Comment

Gently and mjust a little at a time in one spot..moive a bit..pry a little..move..keep going around and around. The reason you dont wanna just pry it all up at once is that you can pinch up the bezel and crack it..slow and easy wins rhe race here.

Comment

Originally posted by TPL View Post
                  What model GS is it? Is the gauge from the same model? Is the front wheel the right size (off the same model)? and lastly is the speedo box (the doofa on the front axle to which the speedo cable attaches) off the same model?

Comment

Check out my little clock rebuild thread here, might give yo some ideas as to the internal workings, hope it helps.

Comment

Working...
                    X