Mounting Mini Tach and Speedo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mounting Mini Tach and Speedo

I purchased a set of mini gauges from partsnmore.com a while back and just went about mounting them up. They came with a basic mounting tab that could be bolted into place of the stock gauges, which I have seen others on this site do before. I personally was not a fan of the look, they stuck out to far for me and well, looked like universal gauges bolted into the stock location. I spent yesterday fabricating up a quick mounting plate and thought I would share a few pictures. I used 22gauge steel sheet that I picked up from the hardware store. I had originally planned to line the edges in door guard strip to finish them, however the strip would not conform to the tight curves. I am going to try to get a hold of some more flexible hose and try that out.

Here is the template I made and the design traced onto the steel. I used snips to cut out the blank. You can see some relief cuts in the photo snipped in there to help cut around the tight corner. I left the tabs long so that I could trim them later.

I clamped the sheet between two scrap pieces of steel and bent the tabs over. I then used a delrin hammer to sharpen the edge

Here you can see the piece after bending the tabs.

The gauges I purchased have one threaded post coming out of the back that serves both to mount and to attach the cable. There are flat spots on the top and bottom to keep the gauges aligned. I didn't take a picture of the holes, but I just drilled them out small and used a round file to widen them laterally.

Here it is mounted up, I painted it flat black to help it blend in with the triple clamp. I had a few stainless acorn nuts around so I reversed the bolt and put them on top to dress it up a bit.

Overall I am happy with the resulting look. The gauges are brought in much tighter and have a more dash like look versus looking like a few gauges hanging out in the air. If I can't get something around the edges I may just flatten out this piece and use it as a template to recreate the design in a thicker material.

Very nice mount buddy. Thanks for sharing!

Comment

Great job! I'm going to save this post for a future project.
      sigpic

1974 GT750 ...done, running and sold
      1974 GT550 .... under construction (done and sold)
      1978 GS550........all stock, running (going to do 550/650 build with it)
      1978 GS1000...another project (Given to son #2)
      1982 GS750EZ ...daily driver(given to son#1)
      1982 GS1100G...completed and traded to son #2 for the 750 back
      1982 GS750EZ...daily driver (got it back in trade with son #2)
      1983 GR650 Tempter.... engine rebuild completed (and sold)

Comment

Very sharp. Do you have any other pictures? I'd like to see a profile shot

Comment

I don't have a profile shot but I can take one and post it up when I get a chance.

Comment

subbed. nice work.

Comment

Working...
            X