Painted and Mounted Maier Fairing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Painted and Mounted Maier Fairing

Ok, time to brag a little. Here's my little fairing all painted up and mounted:

My mounting system:

brackets painted black:

I think it came out ok. It was nice not to have to use those bulky handlebar mounts. I used the fork brackets from these turnsignal relocators I had:

Made the upper brackets out of some aluminum bar stock and the lower brackets out of some L brackets from the hardware store.
    Current Bikes:
    2001 Yamaha FZ1 (bought same one back)

I like it. How's the wind protection?
    '85 GS550L - SOLD
    '85 GS550E - SOLD
    '82 GS650GL - SOLD
    '81 GS750L - SOLD
    '82 GS850GL - trusty steed
    '80 GS1100L - son's project bike
    '82 GS1100G - SOLD
    '81 GS1100E - Big Red (daily rider)

Comment

Dude that is nice. I wonder if they have any of that paint that matches my bikes color. I have one I want to put on my 850 after I find a new shield for it.
      I didnt do it I swear !!

--------------------------
      1982 GS850G

1980 GS1100L

Comment

Originally posted by hikermikem View Post
        I like it. How's the wind protection?
        I haven't had it out on the highway yet as I just got it installed tonight. But around the neighborhood, it seems like it just kinda knocks the windblast down a notch, which is what I was looking for. I'll know more after I get out on the highway and do 70 or so.
        Current Bikes:

Comment

Looks nice. Where did you get the paint from? Is this a hot weather option for the times when it is warm behind the windjammer or are you ditching the windjammer altogether?

Comment

Originally posted by kparkfan View Post
            Dude that is nice. I wonder if they have any of that paint that matches my bikes color. I have one I want to put on my 850 after I find a new shield for it.
            Thanks man. It came out pretty decent I think. Head on over to Autozone and check out their duplicolor paint. The type is called "perfect match" and they have many color choices. Who knows, they may have something that matches yours. I was amazed at how close this matched my bike.
            Current Bikes:

Comment

Originally posted by dr_fosg8 View Post
              Looks nice. Where did you get the paint from? Is this a hot weather option for the times when it is warm behind the windjammer or are you ditching the windjammer altogether?
              Ditching the jammer. I took it off on a whim to see how it felt and was blown away at how much more acceleration there was without it. That was all I needed to feel to decide to leave the Vetter off.

I bought the paint at AutoZone. Duplicolor brand called "perfect match". There just happened to be a red shade that matches my bike almost perfectly. I also painted the side covers. Can you tell?
              Current Bikes:

Comment

Looks fantastic. Makes me wonder what a fairing would look like on mine.
                Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
                2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

That looks great! I still have one of those on my wish list, maybe this fall.
                  "Men will never be free until Mark learns to do The Twist."

-Denis D'shaker

79 GS750N

Comment

That fairing looks right at home, even with the rest of the touring accessories. Nice job. Quarter fairings are great for blocking the wind off your chest. Can't light a match behind one like with the Vetter, but sacrifices have to be made....
                    1979 GS1000S,

1982 Honda CX500 Turbo, 1982 Honda MB5 w/CR80 motor, 1977 Honda "nekid" Goldwing, 1976 Honda CB550F cafe', 1972 Honda XL250 cafe'

Comment

Looks good.

Now you need to put that second or third picture as your sig picture.

sigpic
                      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                      Family Portrait
                      Siblings and Spouses
                      Mom's first ride
                      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

How did you come up with the idea to use those turn signal re-locaters?
                        Genius!

Daniel

Comment

Nice job,How did you do the pinstripes?

1978 GS1000C
                          1979 GS1000E
                          1980 GS1000E
                          2004 Roadstar

Comment

Originally posted by ddaniels View Post
                            ... I bought the paint at AutoZone. Duplicolor brand called "perfect match". There just happened to be a red shade that matches my bike almost perfectly. I also painted the side covers. Can you tell?
                            I'm not sure, but now that you mention it, the side covers and fairing look to be just a hair lighter in color. It's hard to see though. Very nice.
                            Dogma
                            --
                            O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
                            '80 GS850 GLT
                            '80 GS1000 GT
                            '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

Originally posted by Dogma View Post
                              I'm not sure, but now that you mention it, the side covers and fairing look to be just a hair lighter in color. It's hard to see though. Very nice.
                              Good eye. Yes, they are a tad bit lighter. I found out after the fact that there is as shade available that's just a bit darker. I wish I would have used that.
                              Current Bikes:

Comment

Working...
                              X