Quick engine clean??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quick engine clean??

I keep getting 'fatal error' message when performing search!
    Question: I'd like to do a quick front-of-engine clean (lotsa oil and muck)
    Can I just wrap cold exhaust in plastic, and then go at it with Simple Green and then hose? Any problems with this procedure? Suggestions.
    Not looking to 'spit & shine' ...just eliminate some of the crud.
    Any advice most appreciated.

If you have a can of WD-40 on hand, spray it liberally (regardless of your politics) on the engine, let sit for a few minutes, and scrub with a small paint brush, or other soft brush of your choice. Better results with a slightly warm (not hot!) engine. With this there's no need to bother wrapping the pipes, as WD-40 will not harm the finish. FWIW, I have used diluted Simple Green too, without wrapping black ceramic coated pipes, and it worked well. I wouldn't let the SG dry on the engine/pipes, however, as it could leave spots/stains. Finish with hosing off the solvent with lots of water (tip:using warm water will minimize the PITA white chalky residue often left behind by the solvents)....if the engine is really oily/grimy, you might have to repeat as necessary.
    '82 GS1100E

Originally posted by themess
    Only in your own mind did you refute what I wrote.

Comment

i find using kerosene or wd40 and the tooth brush, dish brush is great for getting the thick stuff off. let it sit for a while hit it with a brush then hit it with simple green and water to wash the kerosene and grease from the engine. if they are regular chrome pipes don't worry about them.
      78 GS1000 Yosh replica racer project
      82 Kat 1000 Project
      05 CRF450x
      10 990 ADV-R The big dirt bike

P.S I don't check PM to often, email me if you need me.

Comment

Kero is great but rinse immediately as the sulphur in it causes metal fading and all manner of evil.

To test this wipe wour silver rim edges with kero and come back int eh morning without washing them.

A really good method is to use kitty litter to absorb some fo the oily gunk.
        Strange but efective, it also helps point out leaks. Apply dy and watch.

Comment

my degreaser of choice is called pb blaster. pretty safe on most surfaces but you may want to test it. i use it on the sv and firearms. hasn't given me problems yet.

Comment

Originally posted by bleed gasoline View Post
            my degreaser of choice is called pb blaster. pretty safe on most surfaces but you may want to test it. i use it on the sv and firearms. hasn't given me problems yet.

MY god man its like 8 bucks a can!!!

Comment

Originally posted by JEEPRUSTY View Post
              Gunk is more cost effective, and also works well. I suspect it's little more than straight kero too....the orange-scented version should be more pleasant to work with, however.
              '82 GS1100E

Originally posted by themess
              Only in your own mind did you refute what I wrote.

Comment

I used to use Gunk SC, which is a liquid you mix with kerosene.

Simple Green won't hurt the motor finish in my experience. The super purple cleaners are hard on aluminum. Definately get brushes. There are decent sets at the FLAPS for less than the simple green. any one brush you buy will not reach all areas, so you will end up with several.

Any of the spray on engine cleaners work well too, as does carb cleaner.
                Last edited by 850 Combat; 07-06-2011, 12:08 AM.
                sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

Originally posted by JEEPRUSTY View Post
                  What? I ain't never seen it at $8.

lol, it's like $3 or 4 around here.

-------

Last time I cleaned my engine I used a power sprayer with a weaker wide nozzle. The nozzle is important, if you want to keep your paint.

Or just use a garden hose with soap, or engine deagreaser.

Then use an air compressor to blow anymore junk outta the cracks, and dry it off.

Comment

Originally posted by 1_v8_merc View Post
                    What? I ain't never seen it at $8.

lol, it's like $3 or 4 around here.

-------

Last time I cleaned my engine I used a power sprayer with a weaker wide nozzle. The nozzle is important, if you want to keep your paint.

Or just use a garden hose with soap, or engine deagreaser.

Then use an air compressor to blow anymore junk outta the cracks, and dry it off.
                    Jeep and me are in Canada,double the US prices of everything and that's what we pay

Comment

Engine degreaser spray, as available at auto parts stores, works great. As mentioned already, the Gunk brand is good. The cheaper versions smell pretty bad so consider the citrus type if the runoff is going to linger.

These products contain both a solvent and soap, so they don't leave behind as much residue compared to something like kerosene.

Simple Green will work also but it's grease cutting ability is about 1/3 that of dedicated engine degreasers.

One trick is to go to one of those coin operated car wash places and spray off the engine there. You don't want to blast too hard though since the water pressure will get past the engine seals.
                      Last edited by Nessism; 07-04-2011, 09:57 PM.
                      Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Most folks should also realize a nice bunch of stir sticks used to pick away crud off a warm engine is more efficient that any solvent dousing.

Comment

I found that an air compressor works well for getting in nooks that are hard to get in by hand. It won't get everything mind you, but for the big ol' gobs of grease, a good blast of air dislodges stuff pretty well.

Comment

Seafoam cuts instantly through grease and grime, just dip a brush in it and start scrubbing.

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
                              Engine degreaser spray, as available at auto parts stores, works great.
                              One trick is to go to one of those coin operated car wash places and spray off the engine there .
                              You don't want to blast too hard though since the water pressure will get past the engine seals.
                              If I have an engine that is pretty bad, I will spray it with degreaser before I go to bed and let it soak overnight. Next day, I will spray it again, then take the bike (usually on a trailer, as it's likely a 'new' bike) to the car wash and spray it off. It's higher pressure than you can get from your garden hose, but not as bad as a pressure washer.

sigpic
                              mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                              hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                              #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                              #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                              Family Portrait
                              Siblings and Spouses
                              Mom's first ride
                              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                              (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Working...
                              X