Just got into an accident...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just got into an accident...

hey its a sad day for my lil big 850... i dont know exactly what happened to a T but it seemed like my kickstand was either not fully back or it dropped when i hit a really good bump needless to say i couldn't lean and i hit a big curb and down we went. im ok just scraped up a bit even rode the bike home, but its not in the greatist of shape. now to the point some of the parts are either discontinued or very rich for my blood. I was wondering if any one could help me locate or at least give me a point in the right direction.

Left hand Switchs
    crashbar/engine guard
    front fender
    headlamp glass & trim
    Gauge cluster

the mirrors, turn signals, and clutch lever were bang'd up a bit but i know where i can replace those fairly cheap

lol ya im ok just my hip is bruised up pretty well but it is gonna hurt more in the morning this only happened not even 3 hrs ago that is a of 8:50pm July 16th.

im in Haskell, NJ

and i know ive said it before but thanks a lot guys/gals

Comment

The headlamp glass, if I am not mistaken, is usually part of the light itself so it would be easier to replace the whole light which you should be able to find at any automotive or motorcycle store.
      gages and switches may be a little more scarce, but I believe aftermarket ones are usually sold at places where you can buy mirrors and handlebars.

Comment

Just replaced the stock headlight on my 850 for for this: http://store.candlepower.com/ca7inquiohsu.html
        I can now use an H4 (Osram Silverstar) bulb. Much brighter than the stock headlight! Hope this helps with the headlight glass!

Comment

Do yourself a favor and just find a headlight on E-bay off a naked SV I did this on my GS 1000G probably one of the best mods I have done, light like a modern bike
          1984 GS1100GK newest addition to the heard
          80 GS 1000gt- most favorite ride love this bike
          1978 GS1000E- Known as "RoadKill" , Finished
          83 gs750ed- first new purchase
          85 EX500- vintage track weapon
          1958Ducati 98 Tourismo
          “Remember When in doubt use full throttle, It may not improve the situation ,but it will end the suspense ,
          If it isn't going to make it faster or safer it isn't worth doing

Comment

Last weekend while standing with my Local VJMC members having a coffee, I saw a guy ride past on "something" (was an early for obvious reasons) with the sidestand down. My instinct was to grab my helmet and chase after him, but he was gone. I hope he was OK. I've once ridden my GS550 with the side stand down .. Very scary. I'm glad your experience wasn't worse.

Comment

The addition of a sidestand cut-off switch may be in order.
              Current Bikes:
              2001 Yamaha FZ1 (bought same one back)

Comment

Bummer about the crash man. That's no fun. I may have some of the parts you need though. Be sending a PM soon.

Good luck fixing the bike.

Comment

thanks a lot i really appreciate all the help really. However i think i may have found a complete parts bike cheap. a lot cheaper than buying them individually.

Comment

Hi,

I'm sorry to hear of your mishap. I hope your parts bike works out. That's the way to go. Take care and rest easy.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

thanks cliff. im pretty well rested, relaxed by the pool yesterday.

Any who the parts bike looks like a GL judging from the bars. How much longer are the cables compared to the GT version? I noticed the part #'s dont really match. Also the seat looks different and the tank looks smaller. But either way what im looking at doing is swap the front forks just in case, use the speedo/tach setup & bracket, turn signals, headlamp, handle bars, left switches and front fender which is chrome. Any of these seem to be a fitment issue? Will i have to try and swap the cables as well? And lastly think there's anything that i may have missed

Comment

just an update. healing up nicely always a plus. the parts bike was a 850GLT im gonna use those gauge's there's only a slight variance as far as wiring it shouldn't be too difficult. using the headlamp, turn signals and clutch lever too. my front fender wasn't to badly damaged i just bent it back and is all good. all thats left is the back half of the left hand switch housing deal bars, mirrors, and the hardest part will be removing the snapped bolt on the bottom of the engine that holds the bottom of the case guard

Comment

Glad you're ok. The bike can/will get fixed. I've got a set of crash bars/engine guards if you're interested. I believe they are OE from a 79 850.

Comment

Working...
                          X