Tank badges

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tank badges

Are they all the same across the different models? For instance, would the tank badge from a 1000 fit my 450, or are they different sizes?

Easiest way is to jump on Alpha Sports or something, find a part number, then do a reverse lookup on it, that will tell you any other models that use the same badges as yours...
    1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
    1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Awesome, thanks. I'm seeing a couple different models of tanks listed (T, X, Z). What's the difference and how do I find out which one I have? The part number for the Z is different than the T and X.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike View Post
        Awesome, thanks. I'm seeing a couple different models of tanks listed (T, X, Z). What's the difference and how do I find out which one I have? The part number for the Z is different than the T and X.
        Yours is actually an LZ. The L tells you that it's the little peanut tank, the Z tells you it's an '82.

The T and X that you mentioned tell you that they are for '80 and '81.

I know that the tank mounts were different n the larger bikes, starting in '82, they might have been different on the 450 as well.

As far as badge interchangeability, I don't know. I would suggest doing a reverse search, as Pete suggested.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
          Yours is actually an LZ. The L tells you that it's the little peanut tank, the Z tells you it's an '82.

The T and X that you mentioned tell you that they are for '80 and '81.

I know that the tank mounts were different n the larger bikes, starting in '82, they might have been different on the 450 as well.

As far as badge interchangeability, I don't know. I would suggest doing a reverse search, as Pete suggested.

On the fiche I'm looking at, all three models say GS450LZ on the bottom of it - hence the confusion.

Comment

I don't know where you saw what you say you saw, but the three links you posted showed a Z, an X and a T, in that order.
            (I was looking in the menu bar at the top of the picture.)

With your '82, you should only be looking at the Z.

OK, I took a minute to look at the tanks and how they mounted. Apparently the 450 did not change the tank mount like the larger bikes did. The tanks are probably the same, but have different paint/striping, which woulc give them a different part number. If you are not concerned about color of the tank, any of them would probably work.

sigpic
            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

And are the screw spacings the same???
              MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
              1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Originally posted by chuck hahn View Post
                And are the screw spacings the same???
                That's the part I'm worried about. If it's not EXACTLY the same badge that came off the bike, I don't care. As long as it fits the bike, I'm fine.

Comment

If you like I can measure my '82 450E ones next time I'm in the garage if I remember.

My badges have a slight curve to them as well.

According to Alpha Sports, here is the list of models that use exactly the same badges as yours:

1982 SUZUKI GN125Z - FUEL TANK (MODEL Z)
                  1982 SUZUKI GN250Z - FUEL TANK (MODEL Z)
                  1982 SUZUKI GN400TZ - FUEL TANK
                  1982 SUZUKI GS450LZ - FUEL TANK (MODEL Z)
                  1983 GN125 - FUEL TANK (MODEL D)
                  1983 SUZUKI GN250D - FUEL TANK (MODEL D)
                  1985 SUZUKI GN250F - FUEL TANK
                  1991 SUZUKI GN125EM - FUEL TANK
                  1992 SUZUKI GN125EN - FUEL TANK
                  1993 SUZUKI GN125EN - FUEL TANK
                  1994 SUZUKI GN125ER - FUEL TANK
                  1995 SUZUKI GN125ER - FUEL TANK
                  1996 SUZUKI GN125ET - FUEL TANK
                  1997 SUZUKI GN125EV - FUEL TANK

As Steve said earlier though, one minor detail change and Suzuki will use a different part number, so there may be other models that fit without being identical.

sigpic

Comment

bagdes, we don't need no stinking badges.

Comment

Originally posted by pete View Post
                      If you like I can measure my '82 450E ones next time I'm in the garage if I remember.

My badges have a slight curve to them as well.

According to Alpha Sports, here is the list of models that use exactly the same badges as yours:

1982 SUZUKI GN125Z - FUEL TANK (MODEL Z)
                      1982 SUZUKI GN250Z - FUEL TANK (MODEL Z)
                      1982 SUZUKI GN400TZ - FUEL TANK
                      1982 SUZUKI GS450LZ - FUEL TANK (MODEL Z)
                      1983 GN125 - FUEL TANK (MODEL D)
                      1983 SUZUKI GN250D - FUEL TANK (MODEL D)
                      1985 SUZUKI GN250F - FUEL TANK
                      1991 SUZUKI GN125EM - FUEL TANK
                      1992 SUZUKI GN125EN - FUEL TANK
                      1993 SUZUKI GN125EN - FUEL TANK
                      1994 SUZUKI GN125ER - FUEL TANK
                      1995 SUZUKI GN125ER - FUEL TANK
                      1996 SUZUKI GN125ET - FUEL TANK
                      1997 SUZUKI GN125EV - FUEL TANK

As Steve said earlier though, one minor detail change and Suzuki will use a different part number, so there may be other models that fit without being identical.
                      You don't need to measure, I've still got my original badges, but thanks for offering, and for the list. That might be very helpful.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike View Post
                        You don't need to measure, I've still got my original badges, but thanks for offering, and for the list. That might be very helpful.
                        No probs Mike, good luck!

sigpic

Comment

I just ordered brand new OEM badges for my tank and when they arrived they were gold with a black background instead of silver which my OEM ones were. Now I'm second guessing my black / Metallic silver tins / polished metal theme that I was going to go for.... well either that or send the badges back and try to get some silver ones.
                          1982 Suzuki GS1100GLZ
                          1988 Suzuki VS750GLP SOLD 10/2009

Comment

Working...
                          X