Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Idea's on removing rust on shaft final drive.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Idea's on removing rust on shaft final drive.

My bike is coming along, but the output shaft on my bike has a lot of rust on it. I don't want to disassemble the bike so I wanted to know what everyone thought would be the best course of action to remove it.

Is there something like a spray on rust remover that I can hit it with?

What if I was to hit it real hard with a wire brush and then use the primer that goes over rusts and neutralizes it?

Is there anything else that would work better?

Originally posted by Krunk_Kracker View Post

What if I was to hit it real hard with a wire brush and then use the primer that goes over rusts and neutralizes it?
    Por-15 paint, followed by a top coat of some sort. Good stuff.

BTW, that rust most likely started because the battery puked. Always make sure your battery drain tube is attached and routed out of harms way.
    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Thank you! I'll look into that.

I've never even thought to check the tube, I'll do that, although I'll be switching to one of those really small batteries really soon.

Comment

Naval Jelly is great at removing rust, and leaves behind a rust resistant flat black oxide.

I'd apply it to the affected area, then hose it off after an hour or two. You could prime and paint it if you want to, or leave it as is, and nobody would really notice it unless they were closely examining the bike.
        sigpic

SUZUKI:
        1978 GS1000E; 1980 GS1000G; 1982 GS650E; 1982 GS1100G; 1982 GS1100E; 1985 GS700ES
        HONDA: 1981 CB900F Super Sport
        KAWASAKI: 1981 KZ550A-2; 1984 ZX750A-2 (aka GPZ750); 1984 KZ700A-1
        YAMAHA: 1983 XJ750RK Seca

Free speech is the foundation of an open society. Each time a society bans a word or phrase it deems “offensive”, it chips away at that very foundation upon which it was built.

Comment

I recently bought some Evaporust from Harbor Freight (not their brand, but they sell it there), and it is AWESOME! The challenge for you, however, is that Evaporust (and products like it) work best when you bathe the part in it for 30 minutes to overnight (depending on how bad the rust is). I have had success, however, using it in combination with a wire brush. I did the inside of my badly corroded hitch receiver on my truck, and it worked great!

The wire brush takes care of the major scale and the Evaporust then chemically removes all the rust in the pits and scratches that the wire brush can't reach. When finished, rinse the residue off with water (ironically), and then dry it quickly before spraying on a primer/paint. You'll be good to go, with no micro-rust spots starting the rot up again from the inside.

The best part is that unlike acid-based rust removers this stuff is harmless to everything except rust. You don't even need to wear gloves to use it, and it really works! There are several similar products now available, and I believe they all work very well, though I haven't tried any others personally.

Regards,

Comment

I like Evaporust,don't like the 30 bucks a gallon it now goes for though.
            White vinegar was mentioned on this site,if you can soak the item,works well.

1978 GS1000C
            1979 GS1000E
            1980 GS1000E
            2004 Roadstar

Comment

Originally posted by Rover View Post
              I like Evaporust,don't like the 30 bucks a gallon it now goes for though.
              White vinegar was mentioned on this site,if you can soak the item,works well.
              That's why I like buying it from Harbor Freight. With discount coupons I was able to lower the price by 20-30%. Expensive stuff, but works great!

Regards,

Comment

Working...
              X