Tips on cleaning the motor???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tips on cleaning the motor???

Ok, the bike is an 82 750T. After a ton of work, sweat, and blood we have it running good. The tank and side covers are going to be painted, the seat (which just started to rip on the inner seams) will be re-covered. The chrome is clean and shines. Some touch up on the tank and small paint here and there and we're good. She'll look like new. But my engine is dirty. But not dirt dirty. It has oxidized on the heads and fins. The lower covers are trashed(they'll be painted a nice durable flat black) but I think I can salvage the tranny cover and get it shiny again. but I'd like the motor to look better. But I am unwilling to remove the motor from the frame. And have no access to a blaster whether bead or walnut and again. I don't want to remove the motor which I believe I'd have to do with a blaster anyway. So if there is any tips, tricks, or products I'd appreciate it. I'm not looking for showroom or show bike look even. Just a nice and clean look. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

walmart purple super cleaner, in the automotive section, comes in a one gallon jug.

Comment

Why not paint it in the frame? you can use Deep Purple or Simply Green to get most of the oil and grime off and finish up with soda blasting to get the rest off. Use VHF aluminum engine paint to get the closest OEM colour. I've done this a few time with good results, pretty cheap clean up that's for sure.
      Rob
      1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
      Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

There is no cleanser that will remove corrosion that has occurred under the original engine paint. It's the aluminum equivalent of rust. You can get the engine clean with degreaser and a long-bristled brush, but for that new look there is no substitute for blasting and repainting.

Comment

Here's a link where they show you how to make an almost free soda blaster. You need an air compressor, but if you don't have one, this might be a good excuse to buy one.

Comment

Well I guess I'll need to paint it. I'll try the soda blasting after a good cleaning and paint it. Thanks for the tips

Comment

That is awesome! Can't wait to try this.

Comment

Originally posted by kawfeedave View Post
                Here's a link where they show you how to make an almost free soda blaster. You need an air compressor, but if you don't have one, this might be a good excuse to buy one.

http://www.aircooledtech.com/tools-o.../soda_blaster/
                Holy crap, I am totally doing this. Thanks for posting.

Comment

yes, I want to try this just to make a mess and have some fun!!!
                  (maybe clean the carbs too...lol)

Comment

how hard is it to paint the engine in the frame? What do you all use? Anything to be cautious of?

Comment

Originally posted by kdo58 View Post
                      walmart purple super cleaner, in the automotive section, comes in a one gallon jug.

If you DO use that purple stuff... Make sure you rinse thoroughly...especially you dudes with black motors... that stuff will leave a residue that will turn white when its heated. And its a royal pain in the rump to get it off once its done that. made that mistake once... I only use simple green and S100 now.

As for the oxides.... If you're referring to the case covers (magneto/stator cover, pulsar/ignition cover, clutch cover....etc etc.) those can be made to look brand spanky new with elbow grease and a couple of handy tools

One if you have an air compressor, that helps greatly. I use a sewn, 3" polishing wheel attached to a die grinder. This way, you dont have to remove the covers from the engine, and screw around with new gaskets if ya dont need em...etc. etc.

To start, you'll want a can of BRUSH ON aircraft stripper. Dont use the spray can stuff, cause it will go places you dont want it to. You can use the brush on and some cheapie paint brushes/stain brushes to brush it on to the covers you want to polish. From the factory, those covers were clear-coated, and that stuff has to come off first, or you'll just spend days trying to polish one cover, and sand your arm off...

spread that stuff on liberally, let it do its magic. Then rinse it well.
                      After youre satisfied youve gotten all the clear coat off, start with sand paper...800 grit. Sand sand sand. This will get into the oxidized alu, and get rid of a lot of that mottled look. Move up to 1000 grit, then 1200, all the way to 2000 grit.

Once you're done with that, rinse. dry. Bust out the polishing wheel and die grinder, and WHITE jewelers rouge. (lowes, home depot, harbor freight all carry it, comes in a stick, inside of a tube...Ask someone..they'll point you right)

Load up your wheel with the compound, then go to town on the cover of choice. Move slowly, let the heat build up...put some pressure on it...

If you're patient...that stuff will make those covers look like chrome or mirrors...

Comment

If you're doing the clean and repaint in the frame, an easy way to mask everything around is it to wrap it all with aluminum foil..especially if you're going to use aircraft stripper on the engine. It'll eat the frame paint off in a heartbeat if you get it on it.
                        1979 GS1000S,

1982 Honda CX500 Turbo, 1982 Honda MB5 w/CR80 motor, 1977 Honda "nekid" Goldwing, 1976 Honda CB550F cafe', 1972 Honda XL250 cafe'

Comment

Originally posted by TheCafeKid View Post
                          If you're patient...that stuff will make those covers look like chrome or mirrors...
                          You say you want PROOF?

sigpic
                          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                          Family Portrait
                          Siblings and Spouses
                          Mom's first ride
                          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Working...
                          X