best way to remove paint from brake parts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

best way to remove paint from brake parts

I took apart my master cylinder to replace the piston and cup and more importantly the reservoir and a large portion of the paint is flaking off. Now I'm trying to remove the damaged paint from my caliper and master cylinder so I can repaint it. Any suggestions on the easiest way? I was thinking of painting it red so I figured it would be best to take off all of the old paint first.
    Thanks!

Make sure all the brake fluid is cleaned off via appropriate solvent, and then use paint stripper ("aircraft stripper" works well, from the local parts shack).

What paint are you putting back on? Something that can survive a brake fluid spill?
    Dogma
    --
    O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
    '80 GS850 GLT
    '80 GS1000 GT
    '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

Carb dip. Caliper paint.

Comment

I saw red caliper paint for about $7. same price as the black so I figure that would be the stuff to use.
        I'm open to suggestions as long as they aren't too expensive

Comment

With the carb dip, soak for how long? do you have to brush it off after? or just wash it off?

Comment

Por-15 makes some caliper paint. There stuff hold up much better than typical so it might be worth a try.
            Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Nitromors for getting the old stuff off - just count your fingers after you've finished using it. Or a wire wheel on a drill.

For painting all the stuff the other guys have suggested but also Wilkinsons barbecue satin black works very well too (and for some strange reason is resistant to brake fluid). Just takes quite a while to dry (don't handle for 2 days).
              79 GS1000S
              79 GS1000S (another one)
              80 GSX750
              80 GS550
              80 CB650 cafe racer
              75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
              75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

OK, I'ev started with the master cylider not the caliper. I tried soaking in the Carb Dip (expensive and no selection) for 36 hours and then scrubbing with a brush but only the damaged paint came off. I was kind of dissapointed by this. So I went to the store and looked at Naval Jelly, says 'Do not use on aluminum' so I figure bad idea. then I'm told of 'Aircraft remover' and I figure that this should work. I take it home, and put a coat on and again it only seems to be breaking up the edge of the paint.
                What the heck did they paint these things with from the factory?
                I've sprayed this thing 3 times now and let it sit at least 5~10 minutes each time and still not having the reaction I would have liked.

Plus oddly, after I used the brush and set it aside a bunch of yellowjacket bees started buzzing around it. I've never even seen a yellowjackt in my yard up until then.

Comment

You may have to use the aircraft stripper a few times to get all of it off. Spread it on , go inside and fix lunch, come back out 20 or 30 minutes later and it should start coming off enough to use a plastic scraper on them.
                  Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                  1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
                  2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                  Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                  and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

I'll try again later tonight.
                    I've noticed ever since I put that first coat of it on this morning everything I try to type is coming out backwards so I need to take a break. Maybe get a cup of coffee.
                    I'll let you know what happens.

Comment

If the old paint is sticking so tenaciously why are you trying to remove it? Just scrub down the caliper really well with simple green and a scotchbrite and paint that sucker.
                      Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
                        If the old paint is sticking so tenaciously why are you trying to remove it? Just scrub down the caliper really well with simple green and a scotchbrite and paint that sucker.
                        ... I'm not sure...
                        It was suggested to get all the paint off beforehand.
                        I've not painted too many things really so I was going on this advice.
                        I think I like your advice more.
                        I'm going to call the number on the can of airplane stripper and mention my dissatisfaction to get a refund, and then do as you say. I usually wouldn't call, but it does say 100% satisfaction guarantee on the can and it wasn't really cheap enough to throw away.

Comment

Getting all the paint off first lets the new paint lay on smoothly and not have patchy looking crap all over it. I use a few applications of TAL STRIP paint remover and then wire wheel anything left on..dremel wire wheels in the tight places.
                          MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                          1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Barrymans, then I soak the parts in paint thinner.

Wash with hot soapy water. Tape off anything you dont want painted. Then paint.
                            sigpic

82 GS850
                            78 GS1000
                            04 HD Fatboy

...............................____
                            .................________-|___\____
                            ..;.;;.:;:;.,;.|__(O)___|____/_(O)|

Comment

I have to tell you, for the amount I spent on chemicals I could probably have bought a blasting cabinet and a sprayer. I think I'm going to try painting over whats still on there. If it looks like crap, well it already did. And it'd not like it didn't already have paint stuck all over it.
                              Depending on how poorly it turns out, I'm going to pretend it never happened and start over.

Comment

Working...
                              X