Triple tree top

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Triple tree top

I want to replace my headlight brackets. Looks like I need to remove the top of the triple tree to pull the original brackets.

Other than pulling the bolts and returning them to proper torque spec, are there any pitfalls to this? For instance is the top under any pressure from the fork springs, etc.?

TIA

Should come up with a couple of light taps with a rubber hammer.

Daniel

Comment

After removing the headlight and front wheel, just ease off the triple tree pinch bolts and slide the forks down to remove the headlight mounting brackets.

Johno

current rides 1981 GS1000G and 2005 GSX1400
      1977 Kawasaki KZ400 D4

previous bikes 1978 GS1000HC
      1977 GS400
      1974 Montesa 250
      1960s Kawasaki 175

Comment

Can I not tackle the brackets from the top?

I figured I could remove the headlight and top of the tree, then slide the brackets up and off.

If I have to remove the wheel to pull those brackets, it will wait until Winter.

Comment

You can probably do it either way.... Sliding the legs down is probably easier though you will have to disconnect speedo & unbolt the caliper unless the cable/line is long enough.

You don't have to remove the wheel if you can get the front wheel high enough to give clearance.

You can also cut them off.... they are only thin steel. Carefully cut through the hoop top & bottom & bend the metal away.
          1980 GS1000G - Sold
          1978 GS1000E - Finished!
          1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
          1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
          2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
          1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
          2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Working...
          X