Glue the toolbox

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Glue the toolbox

I had an unfortunate incident where the garage door was dropped on the tail of my 78

The cover is intact, but the toolbox broke 2/3 the way across. I know the cover is ABS, so I tried some ABS cement on it, no go

The toolbox is a "softer" type of plastic, anyone have a product suggestion that they've used???
    1978 GS 1000 (since new)
    1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
    1978 GS 1000 (parts)
    1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
    1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
    1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
    2007 DRz 400S
    1999 ATK 490ES
    1994 DR 350SES

I haven't used it yet, but there was a recent thread on here about Q-bond. The YouTube demo on a broken O-ring was impressive.

http://www.qbond.net/pg_1/pg_1.htm and the video link again:

Rod Miller of Momar's Handyman Division demonstrates Q-Bond, the fastest bonding, strongest adhesive available today!Q-BOND is one of the finest products for...
    '83 GS650G
    '83 GS550es (didn't like the colours in the 80's, but they've grown on me)

Comment

Try some model glue.

Comment

Shoe Goo is great stuff.

Comment

ABS is the easiest stuff in the world to fix!!!

Use acetone!!!

Take a couple pieces of lego (or any source of ABS) and put them in a container. It helps to grind them up a bit. Add your acetone and the ABS will melt into a goop. Wet the area to be fixed with some acetone and it will partially melt then apply a bead of your slurry. The acetone will evaporate and you are left with a pure ABS repair, no glue.

EDIT: I learned about this process from Matchless' "Project Windjammer" thread.
          Are you doing a restoration project of some kind on a GS? Let everyone see what you are doing by posting the details here.
          Last edited by Guest; 09-22-2011, 12:21 PM.

Comment

Working...
          X