Heavy Exhaust Rust

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Heavy Exhaust Rust

I searched the forums on this, but everything I find covers exhaust rust on headers. Figuring that my problem might need special attention (because I am vain, you see), here comes another rust removal thread.

When I reassembled my head and exhaust, I noticed that my 4-1 has loads of rust at the collection point, where the headers merge into the pipe underneath the engine block.

I understand that tin foil and Coca-Cola are good for cleaning up rusty chrome, but this rust (a) looks pretty heavy; (b) is in a tight spot; and (c) is not visible when the pipes are installed.

Does this scenario open up other and/or more aggressive removal options? I am thinking that separating the two pieces will give me more scrubbing access, and would allow me to soak the rusty end in something to speed rust removal (e.g., vinegar, evapo-rust, etc.) Do these treatments tear up the chrome? Is that damage mainly cosmetic? If so, then I don't mind, since the rusted area is out of sight.

Other pointers?

if the said area is out of sight i would clean up thoroughly with a wire brush then paint the affected area with some exhaust paint
    1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

Oxalic acid. King of rust removers.

Comment

SOS Brillo pads, you'd be amazed

Comment

Just be careful you don't eat through it.
          The collector gets very thin with age.
          I suffered that very problem with mine and ended up with pinholes (read: gaping chasms) when I scrubbed the rust off.

Comment

Originally posted by Leigh View Post
            Just be careful you don't eat through it.
            The collector gets very thin with age.
            I suffered that very problem with mine and ended up with pinholes (read: gaping chasms) when I scrubbed the rust off.
            This. This is my fear. Replacing those pipes for $350 is not attractive.

If the rust has penetrated the metal, are there any patch treatments that might avoid having to buy new pipes?

Comment

I wouldn't worry about it too much. Mine were rusty and nasty when I got the bike, chrome flaking off , pitted rust. Painted them black with VHT and periodically paint them, when they need it. went with a lot of coats in the collector area. They look fine. I would like to find a new black set, but these will be around for years. In the link, my bike is the black one in front, not a close up, but looks fine in close ups. https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/phot...eat=directlink
              '78 GS1000E, Dyna-S ignition, Dyna Green Coils, K&N pods, Delkevic SS 4-1 exhaust, Dynojet Stage 3 jet kit, Russell SS Brake Lines, Progressive suspension, Compu-Fire series Regulator 55402 and Advmonster cree LED headlight conversion.

Comment

My header is the same way, where it looks pretty good until you look up close on the top side right under the oil filter housing. I did try a soak in evap o rust, and it took some off, but not as much as I wanted, and it turned the chrome a goldish color. Kind of a neat effect, but it aint supposed to be gold, it's supposed to be chrome.

Maybe mask off to the clean part and wire wheel/VHT black the rusty part. Might be OK.

Comment

Working...
                X