Chrome cam cover cap install

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chrome cam cover cap install

Can this be added on with out taking the valve cover off. It looks like it will be a bitch to get the screw's in. Could you use one of those bent screw drivers. What have you guys done. Thanks.

Originally posted by Quick Cal View Post
    Can this be added on with out taking the valve cover off. It looks like it will be a bitch to get the screw's in. Could you use one of those bent screw drivers. What have you guys done. Thanks.
    Where there's a will, there's a way.

Am I missing something or perhaps thinking of the wrong part? Why not just take the top off? It seems like it would be easier than trying to get down on the floor trying to get the correct angle.
    especially if you have any rust on your screws like mine had. I decided to leave well enough alone on mine.

Comment

Originally posted by Quick Cal View Post
      My covers went missing before my purchase, so I'm free of this problem! How about changing screws out to socket head style? don't forget the lock tite!
      1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Do you mean the breather cover on the top of the engine? All you have to do is remove the gas tank to get a regular driver on those screws. In fact, the reason the breather is separate, I think, is because the valve cover and breather together are too tall to maneuver under the frame rail for installation.

I generally don't like 90-degree screwdrivers because they cam out and strip the screw head too easily. So when you install your new cover, you do want to use stainless hex cap screws, and don't forget the anti-seize on the threads.

Comment

The 650 is a different than most others. I dont know of a way to remove or install cam caps on a 650 without removing the cover.
          sigpic

82 GS850
          78 GS1000
          04 HD Fatboy

...............................____
          .................________-|___\____
          ..;.;;.:;:;.,;.|__(O)___|____/_(O)|

Comment

Here's a pic of said cover.

I have my valve cover off adjusting the valve's. I won't mention what happened to the messed up cover. The thing is, I can't have one in my possession probably not before next week. I'm on vacation this week, and want to go on a road trip. So I'm having a really hard time waiting on a new cover. I want to button everything up and add the cover latter.

I think the right answer is using socket head screw's. The Allen wrench will be a little longer and just may work. As long as the big head doesn't hit,,,which I don't think it does. I gotta go look,,,lol.

Thanks for the idea.
            Last edited by Guest; 09-20-2011, 08:52 PM.

Comment

those look the same as mine really. shouldn't be that hard to get one on with the valve cover on. Much harder taking one off. probably have your best luck with either a short screwdriver or a flexible one it you have it. Just do not forget to put locktite on those screws or you may lose the whole cap.
              Those are going to be M5x16mm replacements for those screws on the little covers according to the parts fiche. two per cap.
              Good luck!

Comment

Working...
              X