Tank Interchangeability for a 77' GS750

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tank Interchangeability for a 77' GS750

Please bare with me as I ask a "noob" questions. Anyways, I have a 1977 GS750
    that is pretty much stock. I want to change the color of the tank, but I won't dare paint over the stock blue color on a "mint" looking tank. I figured I can keep the stock tank and put it back on whenever I want or when I decide to sell it. Anyways, I was looking on Ebay for used tanks off of other GS's. Now my questions is...What tank (preferably the tanks with knee indents) from other models will fit on to my bike with little to no problem. I've noticed that my tank is the single mounted model, so I guess it would have to be single mounted as opposed to the double mounted tanks found on the later GS's.

P.S.-I've looked around other threads, but didn't seem to get the answer I was looking for. I don't want you guys to think I'm that "Lazy Noob" that doesn't know how to use the search button,lol...

The only thing that will fit for sure would be a 78 or 79 750 tank. 79-81 850/1000 might fit, maybe a 78-80 1000E too but I've never tried it. They all have single mounts but I'm gonna guess the bigger bikes tanks might be a touch too long.

As far as knee indents...get a solid 750 tank and if you're good with a dead blow hammer and some body filler you can do your own. I've done it a few times... Had a thread at one point but it's probably been purged. Shoot me a PM if you're interested, I'll give you my number and we can chat about it one evening if ya like.

Comment

My 1980 tank is the same fwiw...

Comment

When I first got my 77 gs750 it came with an 850 tank on it but before I got a 77 tank I did have a tank from a gs550 for a while. The 550 tank kind of fit but it could not be bolted down like a stock tank, too short, I just zip tied it down.
        Last edited by Guest; 09-28-2011, 03:05 AM.

Comment

Thanks for the responses! Cafe Kid-Thanks for the offer, I'll keep that in mind if I decide to do the body work myself. At the moment, I'm looking to get a tank that already has some sort of knee indents, but my choices look limited...I'll look in the 850 and 1000 tanks, maybe I'll have to rig it or something...Nice bike Mifune!!!

Comment

Working...
          X