Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Where and how much to chrome my mag cover?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Where and how much to chrome my mag cover?

So the chromed mag cover bit the dust in the 2009 crash and seeing how the OP kept all the chrome and added more I guess I should have the replacement chromed. How much does that cost and where shoudl I ask?

Thanks

Originally posted by littleroot View Post
    So the chromed mag cover bit the dust in the 2009 crash and seeing how the OP kept all the chrome and added more I guess I should have the replacement chromed. How much does that cost and where shoudl I ask?

Thanks
    Odds are it was polished.

We're talking about the stator cover, correct?
    sigpic

82 GS850
    78 GS1000
    04 HD Fatboy

...............................____
    .................________-|___\____
    ..;.;;.:;:;.,;.|__(O)___|____/_(O)|

Comment

Originally posted by Octain View Post
      Odds are it was polished.

We're talking about the stator cover, correct?
      Yes, the stator cover. You can see it on the pics in my tag line.

Comment

NIce looking bike!
        Hard to tell for me from the pic if it's chrome or a high gloss polish.

Have to checked ebay?
        sigpic

82 GS850
        78 GS1000
        04 HD Fatboy

Comment

NIce looking bike!
          Hard to tell for me from the pic if it's chrome or a high gloss polish.

Have to checked ebay?
          Thanks! Well, that is what she looked like when I got her. She's been used up pretty good after I put 20k miles on her in the last two years. A dear friend gave me the replacement cover to get me back on the road but I am now yearning to give her a bit of that Bling back.

I have not looked on ebay but I will - thanks again

Comment

If you have a good one thats not all scratched and gouged send it to me and i will polish it for you..not chrome but as close as youll ever get on aluminum.
            Last edited by chuck hahn; 10-03-2011, 05:51 PM.
            MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
            1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Why dont ya just get that one polished, or better yet, polish it yourself?
              If you dont have the equipment another alternative would be to find someone on this board that'll do it for ya?
              sigpic

82 GS850
              78 GS1000
              04 HD Fatboy

Comment

Originally posted by chuck hahn View Post
                If you have a good one thats not all scratched and gouged send it to me and i will polish it for you..not chrome but as close as youll ever get on aluminum.
                Yeah this one is fairly scratched and gouged I should find another and get back to you

Comment

Why dont ya just get that one polished, or better yet, polish it yourself?
                  If you dont have the equipment another alternative would be to find someone on this board that'll do it for ya?
                  Yeah heard and just found) some will do that. Probably I need to find one in better condition as it is a bit beat up
                  Last edited by Guest; 10-03-2011, 06:01 PM. Reason: typo

Comment

If the scratches arent really deep and in an acessable spot, you can take some 220 and your orbital sander and smooth things out. Then use the finest you can get and resand the areas till satisfied with the area and then it can be polished..its a ton of work but it can be done. getbit as smooth with the finest grit you can and the sanding wont show when polished out.
                    MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                    1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Working...
                    X