How to lower your GS?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to lower your GS?

Hi guys. What is the correct way to lower a Suzuki GS a few inches? Mine is an '83 1100GL. Right now it's just an idea but I may consider it if it isn't too risky and/or expensive.

High heeled boots?

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Thanks man! Glad I consulted the experts! ;-)

Comment

Well Tom's suggestion will be the easiest......

You could buy some shorter rear shocks but you won't be able to knock inches off. And you could put in some shorter forks, or let them come through the triples a bit. Again, it won't get you inches. Or you could shave some height off your seat.
        79 GS1000S
        79 GS1000S (another one)
        80 GSX750
        80 GS550
        80 CB650 cafe racer
        75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
        75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

agreed, shave a few inches off your seat is the cheapest option if you are just looking for flat feet at the traffic lights
          1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

Originally posted by hampshirehog View Post
            Well Tom's suggestion will be the easiest......

You could buy some shorter rear shocks but you won't be able to knock inches off. And you could put in some shorter forks, or let them come through the triples a bit. Again, it won't get you inches. Or you could shave some height off your seat.
            All of the above to get anywhere near 3 inches.

Comment

lower air pressure in the tires.....LOL

Comment

Originally posted by Agemax View Post
                ...if you are just looking for flat feet at the traffic lights
                Why do you want to lower it?

If is just so you can flat foot it, don't bother...flatfooting when stopped is really over rated.
                Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
                '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

Originally posted by Baatfam View Post
                  Why do you want to lower it?

If is just so you can flat foot it, don't bother...flatfooting when stopped is really over rated.
                  because if you cant reach the ground when you come to a stop you look an idiot when you drop the bike! some people feel safe when they can get both feet on the ground........... DOH!
                  he has not actually mentioned WHY he wants to lower it, mine was just a suggestion
                  1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

Hi,

Shave the seat down, move the forks up in the triple tree clamps, get shorter shocks. Don't mess with the bike's geometry too much or you could make it handle funny. For more info see: Lowering Your Bike.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Hi,

I have not done this pesonally but if you serch the rebuilds, mainly cafe racers you will find lots of info on this topic.

You can change the rear shocks to loose a couple of inches. In the front there are alot of options. You can lower the triple trees and add some clipon bars. You will also see complete front end swaps with gsxs.

do some research on here, there is lots of information.

Comment

All of these suggestions will work, but with varying degrees of success.

Yes, it would help a LOT to know just why you want to lower the bike.

Just remember that every bit you lower it will also reduce the amount that it will be able to lean in a corner, basically turning it into a straight-line bike.

sigpic
                        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                        Family Portrait
                        Siblings and Spouses
                        Mom's first ride
                        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Lowered my gs750 cafe. 11 inch shocks in the back. Pushed the forks through the triple tree, and put clip-ons on what came through. Had to trim the bump seat because of lowering it in the back. If you go too low with shocks or links you run into some potentially dangerous problems. Tore up a back tire on the express way because of rubbing. I was lucky to get out of that one unscathed Lowering is something you have to keep an eye on, but it is a nice feel to be lower to the ground on a customized bike weather it's a cafe, bobber or whatever.

Scudder

Comment

Originally posted by Agemax View Post
                            because if you cant reach the ground when you come to a stop you look an idiot when you drop the bike! some people feel safe when they can get both feet on the ground........... DOH!
                            he has not actually mentioned WHY he wants to lower it, mine was just a suggestion
                            Agreed...but you said flat footed...that's different than just reaching the ground...
                            As long as you can get your toes down...that's all ya need...

And that's all I was tryin' to say...
                            Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
                            '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

Why stop?

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Working...
                              X