Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any ideas on better looking exhaust bolts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any ideas on better looking exhaust bolts?

I was checking to make sure the exhaust bolts were good n tight when i realized how ugly they are. They are regular zinc coated bolts, but they are now discolored and really look out of place. I have a 82 gs550m with V&H 4-1 exhaust that is black. I would love to put some black chrome (or regular chrome) acorn nuts on there instead of the bolts that are on there now. Has anyone tried using acorn nuts instead of bolts? I'm more specifically interested in the high crown acorn nuts, they come to a point rather than a rounded top. I considered using stainless steel, but someone told me they could be a problem with the high temp.

I don't see why acorn nuts would be a problem, or a nice shiny new set of allen bolts in place of the regular bolts.
    Whatever you go with, just use anti sieze and you will be fine.
    Pics or it didn't happen.

Comment

Best close-up that I have of Goldy:

Daniel

Comment

This is a picture of what it looks like now. I think the rounded allen head bolts would look good too. Is there any type of metal or grade of metal I should stay away from? Would chrome bolts work ok for this?

Comment

Comment

As long as you are not shy with the anti sieze, anything should be fine, i would stay away from stainless though.

Comment

Stainless is fine on exhaust bolts as long as you are liberal with the copperslip.
              79 GS1000S
              79 GS1000S (another one)
              80 GSX750
              80 GS550
              80 CB650 cafe racer
              75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
              75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

There you have it, I humbly retract my last statement.

Comment

I use grade 12.9 bolts or studs to be safe.

Daniel

Comment

Paint your bolt heads black with VHT.

1978 GS1000C
                    1979 GS1000E
                    1980 GS1000E
                    2004 Roadstar

Comment

Just take a bolt down to Ace Hardware and you can get an equal size Allen head - they come in black coating
                      1978 GS 1000 (since new)
                      1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
                      1978 GS 1000 (parts)
                      1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
                      1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
                      1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
                      2007 DRz 400S
                      1999 ATK 490ES
                      1994 DR 350SES

Comment

2 inch stainless set screws and stuc the engine...stainless washers and nuts as well. Yeah I know...I need new exhaust collars too.

MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                        1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

I went back to the hardware store and took the black chrome acorn nuts out to the bike to see how they would look. I have decided that I can't live without them on my bike. I have decided to order 8 socket head set screws that are 30mm long and use the nuts to secure them in place. It seems with the set screws I can get them in and back out without messing up the threads and still put the acorn nut on. I will just paint the existing washers black. The only problem is that the store only had 6 in stock, and nobody was around to talk to. I wanted to look online first, but have had no luck finding the acorn nuts in black chrome, soo looks like I will be going back to the store to buy all they have.

Comment

I found 8 acorn nuts in chrome and decided to do that instead of waiting for the black chrome to show up. I am pretty happy with how it looks, a ton better than what it used to look like.

Comment

Nice.....

Comment

Working...
                              X