ideas on gas tank color

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ideas on gas tank color

I am planing on powder coating my gas tank on my bike. My caliper and drum are painted red. The side plates are stuff under consideration. I want to powder coat it but not sure what color. I was thinking red but maybe a blue/purplish just not sure how it would look. Any ideas? I am open to pretty much anything. Thanks!

I find colour is always such a personal choice, however...

Blue and red look alright together because they are both primary colours and sit at seperate points on the colour triangle. I dont think Purple and red would go too well, they are both close together on the colour wheel and both a little on the active colour side of things. Always better to have an active and a passive together (with the exception of black or white, which are neither) Google colour wheel or colour triangle, should be heaps of info and might give you a bit of insight into which colours go together well.

EDIT: this might help http://www.worqx.com/color/complements.htm
    Last edited by Guest; 12-08-2011, 02:14 AM.

Comment

I had trouble choosing one color, so I went with a paint that changes color based on angle of view and light. Turned out OK, my accents are red candy color.

Comment

Without looking through your pics, I just want to point out powder doesn't stick to body filler. So if your tank is dented, paint may be your best option.

What about a gold or white?

Comment

White I think is the best option. You can't have another bright color imo or you look like a cartoon.

Comment

Originally posted by DrunkenChekhov View Post
            White I think is the best option. You can't have another bright color imo or you look like a cartoon.
            or a jetski

Blue and white would look ok, can't tell me a gsxr750 with its giant red "R" looks cartoonish. From bakirkwold's description there isnt a great deal of red on the bike yet.Infact now that i think about it, blue and white with a little red is very "Suzuki" nowadays anyway.

Comment

The third primary color has to be very subtle I think. Thus just the hint of red on the gsxr.

Comment

I guess it would depend on what type of bike you have (hint, hint-signature). The L's are different from the standards in that cruisers (of this era) look weird in super-bright colors, as it screams jap-bike wannabe. However, the standards can get get away with bright colors, and look super-sweet, and get lots of attention. If you are riding an L, stick with a dark color, and keep it uniform throughout the bike. If it's a standard, you have to ask yourself if you are going for a stock look that follows the UJM style of that era, or, if you are going for a little bit sportier look. My L is a maroon color right now, which I think matches the style of bike it is. However, my Yammie was stock carmine red, and I decided to go a little sportier with a parakeet yellow. My recommendation would be to tour a motorcycle dealership, or use the web to look at colors you really like. I see beautiful bikes all the time and I say to myself that it would look great on my bike! If you are doing a shaker can job, I see no reason why you cannot change it up every few years. However, if you're spending a little more money, I would stick with a color that you will never tire of!

Here is a pic of my Yammie: https://skydrive.live.com/redir.aspx?cid=b1724ab2f170d079&page=play&resid=B1 724AB2F170D079!299&authkey=MBvoARy5ysY%24

Comment

DrunkenChekhov- I looked at your bike pics, and I was curious to know if that is really a "E" model? It looks like an "L" tank, etc. you have on there. Please let me know if I am wrong.

Comment

Silver and red look awesome together.

]

Athough a red body may be pretty slick too.

Comment

Indeed! Reminds me of the old Honda cubs and Dream of the 60's.

Comment

Originally posted by IanDMacDonald View Post
                        DrunkenChekhov- I looked at your bike pics, and I was curious to know if that is really a "E" model? It looks like an "L" tank, etc. you have on there. Please let me know if I am wrong.
                        It is indeed an E (no leading axle). The PO was going to build a bobber out of it, thus the terrible homemade sissy-bar in the first pic and the L tank. However, I'm going to remedy that as I have a new tank in the mail

Comment

Working...
                        X