How did that paint trick go again...?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How did that paint trick go again...?

I'm currently painting something for a friend using 2 component paint and a airgun but there is no precise measurement for the thinner. I remember a trick where you stir the paint with a stick and let it run off holding it a distance of the container and check where the stream of paint breaks up into seperate droplets, anybody knows this What distance

What do you mean, two component paint...Lacquer (paint/thinner), Epoxy (paint/catalyst), Enamel (paint/reducer/catalyst), Urethane - Basecoat/clearcoat (paint/catalyst, paint/reducer/catalyst).

Lacquer is easy, 100% works really well, but you could start at 50% and use test panels until it flows to your liking. You can also start heavy, and thin a little more per coat

Enamel, wow, that takes me back, memory tells me 100% + catalyst (but don't quote me).

Epoxy, best to look up online what they like, PPG was different than Martin Senior, thus I won't venture into this territory.

Same with basecoat/clearcoat. If it is Martin Senior, I can help you.

Kenny

Comment

Hi Kenny, I'm using Spies Hecker Acrylic paint with the recommended hardener, 2 parts paint to 1 part hardener, no clearcoat since it's not a metallic. Basecoat is already done. The test panel method sounds good, I'll try that then...

Are you a professional painter and who is Martin Senior??? :?

Comment

Spies Hecker (I thought it was Heckler?) is pretty pricey stuff, they must have a web site or two that could help you.

I have painted off and on since I was 16 years old (I'm 38 now). I grew up in a small town (Chewelah, WA) thus the only auto paint store was the local NAPA (owned by my best friends father). Since my friend purchased the store and 2 others, I pretty much use their products.

The early Martin Senior (or is it Senor) had a bad reputation, but their Tec Base/Clearcoat is one of the top products to shoot (and very easy if you follow directions).

As for being professional, I am just a hack who has done it for many years, by trade I am a CPA.

Good luck, would love to see the finished product.
        Kenny

Comment

Are you talking about 'pearlecent' paint?

Comment

Originally posted by Hackneymanz
            Are you talking about 'pearlecent' paint?
            Who me? Nah, just regular if you mean that.

The part is finished btw, turned out nice but my camera wont unload the pictures.

Comment

Working...
            X