Removing paint

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Removing paint

Hello, What's the best way to remove paint from a motorcycle frame?

Thanks,
    Supavert

Probably by having it media blasted. every method of paint removal has it's down fall. wire brushing it away will take time, chemically stripping can be messy ect.
    De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

Media blasting. But if you don't have that available, use aircraft paint stripper. Be aware that it's very messy, though, and will burn your skin.
      Current Bikes:
      2001 Yamaha FZ1 (bought same one back)

Comment

I didn't remove all of the old paint, I figure if it's been on there for 25 plus years why remove it completely, sand down and rough spots, blend in all rough edges, primer and paint once again.

now if your going to have it powder coated, then it has to be bare metal, and to get that, rustybronco is correct get it media blasted, make sure all bearing and such are removed and all threaded holes are covered, best is to put in a nut you don't need to fill in the hole

Comment

I used to spend hours and hours sanding frames. Never again (unless I'm molding the welds). Sand blasting, then powder coating is the only way to go. For what it costs, for how it looks, and for durability..you can't beat it.
          1979 GS1000S,

1982 Honda CX500 Turbo, 1982 Honda MB5 w/CR80 motor, 1977 Honda "nekid" Goldwing, 1976 Honda CB550F cafe', 1972 Honda XL250 cafe'

Comment

Aircraft remover is neat stuff.
            It usually sprays out like a foam or gasket remover.
            Just let it sit for a short period, and scrape it off like clay.

But why not just sand it a little and paint over?
            Soooo much easier, plus you have an extra coat underneath to further protect against rust.

Comment

So I should put all of the screws back on the frame before it gets powder coated?

Comment

either cover them up, fill them up, or you will have to chase the threads before the screws will go back in....

powder coat is thick, it will settle into the threads and not allow the screw to thread back in....

leave the bearing reese (sp) in the steering stem, after powder coating remove and replace, if the bearing are good remove the bearing and tape off that area otherwise you bearings will not go in properly

anywhere there is a thread or tight fit, plug it some how or another

even with me just using primer and paint, I had to clean up some of the theads

Comment

Gatekeeper,

What kind of primer and paint did you use? The frame looks great.

Supavert,

Comment

A great job can be had with most any quality spray can black gloss paint.
                    Prep is key as in all paint jobs.
                    Consider that when all the parts are back on the bike maybe 10 or 20% of the frame is all that's visible.
                    Save the cost of powder coating and use it for other parts.

1978 GS1000C
                    1979 GS1000E
                    1980 GS1000E
                    2004 Roadstar

Comment

Spray canning it is cheap, no doubt. But, it only lasts as long as the first time you slip with a wrench or if any rock hits it while riding. It runs off in rivers if you spill gas on it. No matter how well it's prepped, spray can paint just can't compare. If you were to use a catalysed urethane, that would be a good alternative to a spray can. Powder coating everything including the battery box, all the mounting brackets, and swing arm should only run around $200. It gets into every nook and cranny and is incredibly durable. Any powder coater worth their salt should have a selection of tapered rubber plugs to fill bolt holes with. The best part..all you do is drop it off, then pick it up all done.
                      1979 GS1000S,

1982 Honda CX500 Turbo, 1982 Honda MB5 w/CR80 motor, 1977 Honda "nekid" Goldwing, 1976 Honda CB550F cafe', 1972 Honda XL250 cafe'

Comment

One possible source of chemical paint stripper: Consumer hazardous chemical disposal sites. The local one here receives lots of half-used cans. They give them away. Less waste than another person buying a can and using half of it.
                        sigpic[Tom]

“The greatest service this country could render the rest of the world would be to put its own house in order and to make of American civilization an example of decency, humanity, and societal success from which others could derive whatever they might find useful to their own purposes.” George Kennan

Comment

Originally posted by themess View Post
                          One possible source of chemical paint stripper: Consumer hazardous chemical disposal sites. The local one here receives lots of half-used cans. They give them away. Less waste than another person buying a can and using half of it.
                          Thanks for bringing that up. I saw that when I was disposing of some old computers and TV's for my mom.
                          sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

Originally posted by Supavert View Post
                            Gatekeeper,

What kind of primer and paint did you use? The frame looks great.

Supavert,
                            Duplicolor filler primer red oxide

Krylon Appliance Paint

I know it won't last, and it won't stand up, but powder coating was expensive, one place quoted me 500 bucks just for the frame, and they did it all, I just drop off and pickup, another place wanted 200 bucks and I had to strip it down to bare metal myself, powder coating was not in the budget.

Comment

I feel you when it comes to that budget thing. But it looks great.

Peace!
                              Supavert

Comment

Working...
                              X