gs850g tank on gs850L

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

gs850g tank on gs850L

I've gotten some good advice about the possibility of using a "G" tank on a "L" frame. I will have to move the seat back and I've already installed a "G" triple tree. The tank seems like it will work fine, but before I dive in, I thought I'd check with you all. My question is this... Has anyone every modified a "G" tank on an "L" frame? If so... How'd you do it?

Scudder

Ditto! Also interested.

Comment

Not a "G" tank, I considered it, but it just didn't seem to make the "fit" with the rest of the bike. I did put a larger tank on, I had to put the "G" triple on it, move the mounting ears forward, and with mine, I welded tank mounting brackets and moved the seat clips aft, raised and welded them. Also modified the rear lock system for the King /Queen seat I was using, then replaced that with the seat off my parts "G". It's bolted, not locked, so I suppose someone with a wrench could steal my battery pretty easily, but someone with a big screwdriver could force the seat lock anyway.

Comment

Guess I'm back to taking my spare dented L tank and cutting it up to try and fab a larger capacity.

Comment

Not sure about the clearance issues at the tree, but I think the front tank mounts have to be moved on the frame (there is another set of holes already in the frame) and the rear should bolt right up.

Keep in mind, though, that different years have different mounts. The '80 and '81 bikes use a single horizontal bolt at the back, the '82 and '83 bikes use two vertical bolts. Make sure your two tanks are from the same year range to make it easier.

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I saw the holes and thought that they might be for the "G" tank. I see now what you mean by "No more room". It the tank is moved forward to the forward holes the back of the take will bolt right up. I've already swapped out triple trees so that is not a problem. However, I'm very paranoid to start chopping of the "L" tank brackets. But.. the "G" tank can't move forward into it's rightful place without getting rid of the "L" brackets. It that what you mean? So am I correct in assuming that it will fit fine once the "L" tank bracket is removed? Seems like the back of the tank would have to be lifted up too much to line up the rear holes to put in the mounting screw.

Scudder

Comment

Originally posted by Scudder View Post
              I saw the holes and thought that they might be for the "G" tank. I see now what you mean by "No more room". It the tank is moved forward to the forward holes the back of the take will bolt right up. I've already swapped out triple trees so that is not a problem. However, I'm very paranoid to start chopping of the "L" tank brackets. But.. the "G" tank can't move forward into it's rightful place without getting rid of the "L" brackets. It that what you mean? So am I correct in assuming that it will fit fine once the "L" tank bracket is removed? Seems like the back of the tank would have to be lifted up too much to line up the rear holes to put in the mounting screw.

Scudder
              I have not done this myself, but I have been led to believe that's what it takes.

Are your tanks from similar years, like I mentioned?

sigpic
              mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
              hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
              #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
              #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
              Family Portrait
              Siblings and Spouses
              Mom's first ride
              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
              (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

On mine I chopped the "ears" off the frame where the "L" tank mounts up, and put threaded stock through the holes in the front of the frame where they are for the "G" tank. It works, but when I set up the "G" tank from my parts bike on it I wasn't real pleased with the appearance. I had already bought the tank I ended up putting on the bike, it didn't need painting or anything, and makes a better appearance than the "G" tank did. Also, once the ears are on the frame up front you'll discover the single bolt mounting bracket is about 2" away from the mounting hole on the "G" tank, and you'll need a longer bolt and spacers to bolt it down.

Comment

Yes. 1980L & 1980G tanks. Probably going to play it be ear and move slowly. Presently I have the G tank mocked up on my L frame. I have the g tank pulled back resting up against the L tank brackets up front. That position is a great fit for me, however, like I said, the rear screw hole doesn't match up. I like the way it looks and the capacity of the g tank, so I'll figure it out somehow. The rear mounting of the g tank, I can modify no problem. It is the front of the tank that could be sketchy.

Scudder

Comment

Dan the Man. So the forward holes are the holes that the L frame covers bolted into, right?

Comment

Yep, that's the place. I don't have the frame covers on anymore because the tank covers that spot. That's the reason for replacing the "L' triple with a "G" triple to make room for the tank. The frame covers are now in a box with other parts that I may or may not need some time.
                      Here's the link to thread I made on my L/G morph job. http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=160112
                      Last edited by Guest; 02-28-2012, 04:46 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X