Vetter Fairing-Quicksilver

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Vetter Fairing-Quicksilver

I purchase a vetter quicksilver fairing. It is in very good shape except the left turn signal was apparently broken off and there is a hole where the mount for the turn signal goes. Anyone ever repaired an issue like this? I can mount flush (modern) turn signals to the fairing, but I was wanting to keep it in the 1970's if possible.

Also I was messing around with some more modern signals (not LED), and when I had them on the front and my stock signals on back, they would only light up and not flash. Do I need resistors on them, even if they are not LED? Will modern signals not work on front with older stock signals in the rear?

Scudder

I have a Quicksilver on my 850. How much bigger is the hole? i had to enlarge the hole (and make it square in shape) on mine slightly, to install a pair from an '83 gs1100. (to match the same style of lens on the rear of the gs1100gk saddlebags also on it) Craig Vetter has his own website that sells parts etc, and they sell a repair kit (hotcha i think it's called) for cracks in fairings. An electronic style flasher relay is what you need, autoparts stores have them for about ten bucks.
    Last edited by kingofvenus; 03-05-2012, 11:54 PM.
    Dee Durant '83 750es (Overly molested...) '88 gl1500 (Yep, a wing...)

Comment

Can you post up the damage you are talking about?
      De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

I'll post a picture soon. Thanks.

Scudder

Comment

Originally posted by Scudder View Post
          Also I was messing around with some more modern signals (not LED), and when I had them on the front and my stock signals on back, they would only light up and not flash. Do I need resistors on them, even if they are not LED? Will modern signals not work on front with older stock signals in the rear?
          Check the number on the bulb in your new signals. Some of them come with a bulb that is actually intended as a marker light bulb, not a signal bulb, so will not draw enough current to 'tickle' the flasher unit. It might just require a simple bulb upgrade (brighter signals are better anyway) or it might require a flasher upgrade.

Note that if your bike has self-cancelling turn signals, a new flasher will render that feature useless.

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Above are a couple pretty bad pictures of the hole in the fairing. The third picture is of the good side.

Basically the entire indentation for the turn signal is busted out. I expect I could mount a flush mount turn signal over the hole, but I'm not too sure if those would be very visible from the front for a turn signal.

Any ideas are appreciated.

Scudder

Comment

It looks repairable to me.

You can take a heat gun to what's remaining of the damaged area and form it to the contour of the undamaged side, then this post will give you an idea on how to remake what's missing and attach a new 'patch' to the fairing. http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...1&postcount=14

You might try a body shop to source a small piece of ABS from a damaged bumper cover.
              De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

Solution for now...

I solved the hole in the fairing problem by installing flush mount turn signals over the original turn signal locations. This covered the hole that was knocked into the fairing by the PO or someone running into something with the turn signal. I keep the flush mounts smoke so they wouldn't be seen too much until you turn on your signal. I like the look of it, but eventually I'll probably try to get it back too it's original condition. Works fine for now. No problems with the flashing of the turn signals. I kept the stock flasher and everything works well.

Scudder

Comment

Working...
                X