shortened rear fender

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by thkbaron View Post
    now I wish I would have went even shorter with my rear fender. if I do that I'll have to get a new taillight though since mine would be pointing at the sky! It does make a darn good helmet holder though! hehe. turn signals look much nicer too. I'll have to pick up a set of them.
    Thats what I'm doing, going with a new tail light, the Zuk's tail light is like a light house beacon,bad enough cages want to run into you, don't need ships trying to dock on my a$$ets damn things so big, and yes, it would be pointing to the sky, but you could re-angle it with longer screws/bolts and some spacers made from thin tubing. i just wanted a smaller tail light to go with the smaller signals. Plus I have a rack on mine for with a helmet lock and the factory dual helmet lock so I'm good there. As far as shortening the rear fender, the only thing was done, shift it forward so the rear mounting aligns with the forward mounting holes, and a few well placed dents hidden under the seat bracket to allow fit, re-drill a hole for a wire gromet for signal and TL wires, and done, about 20mins.

Comment

Originally posted by thkbaron View Post
      now I wish I would have went even shorter with my rear fender. if I do that I'll have to get a new taillight though since mine would be pointing at the sky! It does make a darn good helmet holder though! hehe. turn signals look much nicer too. I'll have to pick up a set of them.

My taillight finnaly got here...49 days after I ordered it I'll mount it up today and get some new pics with the smaller taillight/little signals/shortened fender combo finnaly done.

Comment

Pics as promised with the shortened fender, the smaller but still retro looking signals and the smaller cat eye light with new aluminum plate bracket.

also, changed the bars/grips and added bar ends.

Future mods, different mirrors (very soon) de-bumping seat, painting fenders-front and rear (satin black and silver) and a tricky mod...more fuel without changing the tank

Comment

What do you mean by de-bumping the seat?

Comment

Originally posted by cmo 317 View Post
            What do you mean by de-bumping the seat?
            De-bumping a seat, means, taking a king/queen sort of seat, like a stock "L" seat, with the his and hers(rise) and shaving some of the foam of the rear and/or adding a little to the front, almost simulating the "G" or other not "L" seats, gives the driver more comfort, not so cramped against the tank, not sure how it affects passenger comfort. My seat is a little fatigued, I can tell the vinyl is a little brittle, not as supple as from the factory, I even have a tiny 1/2 tear starting, so it's a matter of time before it tears. So I may attempt this in the near future.

Comment

Do you think you could take a wide profile shot of the bike with the shortened fender? It's hard to get perspective with the close up shots you've posted so far.

I'm also looking forward to de-bumping my L seat

Comment

Hows these, need more? Any questions? I think the whole thing works better together with the smaller signals and tail light.

Last edited by Guest; 04-06-2012, 05:01 PM.

Comment

Looks great man, thanks.

And those signals are a perfect blend of OEM style without the garish size.

Comment

Thanks, and remember, I didn't cut the fender, just moved the rear mounting of the fender to where the front of it originally mounted, it did require me to add a couple washers under eash bolt to the rear seat mount though, but 4 washers, later and done. The rear light had to go also, wayyyyy too big!

Comment

Oh really, so you didn't even cut off some of the interior of the fender once you slid it back?

I think the lucas-style tail light is a natural choice for a bobbed fender, like this:

I'm going to get the gloss black painted Lucas taillight from Dime City
                      Last edited by Guest; 04-06-2012, 05:14 PM.

Comment

Nope, no cutting, slid back with all the room in the world, no interference.
                        I'll have to see what that tail light looks like on your bike, then maybe I'll change again...or just save my $$$ for gas. I've got different mirrors coming too, after changing the bars, all I see is my shoulders, needed some with longer angled stems, and some needed horns as I don't have any at the moment, my current horn sounds a little like..." hey!!! WTF you stupid cager"

Comment

What kind of tail light is that? I just got a 78 1000 & I want to modify the seat & tail light & rear fender. Looks pretty good!

Comment

Working...
                          X