Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is a Skunk?(For those afraid to ask)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

High quality marijuanna from the little I know about it...I just drink wine a lot...
    sigpic
    When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
    -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
    -Rusty old scooter.
    Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
    https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Originally posted by SVSooke View Post
      To bring this up and add some more info.

These are the North American colour schemes for the 78 GS1000.Other markets got red with white and a lighter blue with dark blue stripes.Some debate here as to whter these are Skunks or not.Oddly both examples I have show "star whels,wires where stock for the 78 "C" bikes.
      theres actually 7 colour schemes for 78
      the 2 c models pictured above

black with white and red stripes USA model

black with white/gold stripes a true skunk with white stripe down its back

red with white/gold stripe a sunburnt skunk

pale blue with dark blue stripe

Blue with dark blue/silver stripe
      rarest of them all this was a UK/Europe only it seems

Comment

My little Skunk back in the day of 1979 with about 500 miles on it.
        Sure was fun.
        sigpic
        Steve
        "The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Comment

Originally posted by ozman View Post
          theres actually 7 colour schemes for 78
          the 2 c models pictured above

black with white and red stripes USA model

black with white/gold stripes a true skunk with white stripe down its back

red with white/gold stripe a sunburnt skunk

pale blue with dark blue stripe

Blue with dark blue/silver stripe
          rarest of them all this was a UK/Europe only it seems

Cool!I was counting the ones I knew about for sure.Nice to have all the "Skunk" variations documented.Thanks Ozman.Like the sunburned skunk for the red and white,I've been calling it Euro skunk.
          Last edited by Guest; 10-19-2013, 07:53 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Allie View Post
            That's for sure. How do you miss a skunk, even at night? I've encountered them in the dark - they have their own way of moving, and the white stripe shows up unless it's like PITCH black.
            It's kind of fun watching tourists feed them in Stanley Park. Of course sometimes spooking them can be irresistible......
            Old age and treachery will beat youth and skill every time
            Originally Posted by Schweisshund I mean, sure, guns were used in some of these mass shootings, but not all of them
            1983 GS 750

Comment

Originally posted by SVSooke View Post
              Cool!I was counting the ones I knew about for sure.Nice to have all the "Skunk" variations documented.Thanks Ozman.Like the sunburned skunk for the red and white,I've been calling it Euro skunk.
              Also notice the passenger seat straps that came stock on the overseas models.
              sigpic
              Steve
              "The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Comment

Skunk:

Know your skunks. It could save your life.
                Cool! That's my bike. I'm flattered that somebody thought it worthwhile to post a pic of it!
                Here is its story with me.
                It had been in a big shed covered in waxy oil along with about 20 scooters looking really awful. It turned out that the guy had taken it in lieu of payment for some building work recently done and the fella just wanted it out as he was a scooter man. The original owner had last used it 25 years before I had got it and had parked it up smothering it with snotty spray on grease (that was a bugger to get off) It shows no evidence of ever being down or having been ridden in the wet, it is spotless with only 13k miles. I had made excuses and turned it down for months till one day returning a welder to another mate I was trapped into going, unable to make any more excuses not to at least look. We went round and I saw it parked up looking really sad and immediately I saw it I knew it was of interest and the closer I got to it I realised just what it was. Its an HC of which they only produced this particular type for three months before they changed to what we really know as the skunk. It is also frame number 000175. It came complete with original handbooks and mirrors the toolkit was however not there.
                (I phoned my Girlfriend to bring money and stood there waiting with the fella till she came just to make sure that nobody else rocked up with a better offer at the last minute.)
                I have replaced the side panels, the front fender, the handle bars and rear lifting handle. Otherwise it is as it came out of the crate, which is interesting to me because at the time I worked for the dealer who had originally sold it back in '78 so I was the one who unpacked it from its crate and PDI'd it.
                (I recently managed to find an original satin black side panel to replace the replacement.)
                I have had it for three years and never started it.
                Here is a pic of it on the day I bought it. It has grown on me as I always thought these a bit plain and unbeautiful, I like the crisp new looking sharp unmolested/unscratched edges to it.

Last edited by tatu; 10-20-2013, 03:42 PM.
                sigpic

Don't say can't, as anything is possible with time and effort, but, if you don't have time things get tougher and require more effort.

Comment

That's quite a story Tatu, I didn't know it was yours. I saw a great picture of an exceptional bike and nabbed it. May I compliment you on such a delicious piece of iron.
                  "Men will never be free until Mark learns to do The Twist."

-Denis D'shaker

79 GS750N

Comment

That's quite a story Tatu, I didn't know it was yours. I saw a great picture of an exceptional bike and nabbed it. May I compliment you on such a delicious piece of iron.
                    Thanks Allie, I was very fortunate to have been offered it in the first place. I had been looking for a seat and exhaust pipes and that is how originally I came to hear of it.
                    sigpic

Don't say can't, as anything is possible with time and effort, but, if you don't have time things get tougher and require more effort.

Comment

I can't believe you turned it down! what a great find.

Comment

Newly acquired "skunk"

Just bought this 1000

Comment

Giving this a bump for all the new people wondering what the heck we are talking about.And to show off my Euro (sunburned) Skunk:

Last edited by Guest; 03-01-2015, 06:23 PM.

Comment

Working...
                          X