ballpark estamate anyone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by kb_air View Post
    so you dont think i could get a pretty good paint job for around 300 bucks? can you use a 30 dollar can of paint and get good results? or is it half the money you spend and half the skill of the painter?

Yes, you can get a "pretty good" paint job for $300..if..you're happy with the results. There are definately people who will do that for you, but they probably don't do it for a living. Most body shops won't even talk to you about painting a bike. A $30 can of paint has half the pigments in it then a $60 can of paint..which translates to more paint, reducers, and hardeners needed to get the same coverage. If you choose a solid color with no metallic, and nothing in the red catagory (thee most expensive pigment by far) you could do it. I think what I took offense to was lumping any/all painters (or artists) into a catagory that's ripping you off if he's charging you any more than $400. I've done many $1,500 show quality paint jobs, some that I spent as many as 60 hrs. on with an average of $400 worth of top-of-the-line materials. If you do the math, I'm not ripping anyone off.

Best of luck with your project.
    1979 GS1000S,

1982 Honda CX500 Turbo, 1982 Honda MB5 w/CR80 motor, 1977 Honda "nekid" Goldwing, 1976 Honda CB550F cafe', 1972 Honda XL250 cafe'

Comment

Youre preaching to the chior at my house Larry!!!!! The saying is that you get what you pay for, and with youre work we get a ton..chin up buddy!!!
      MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
      1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

I was recently quoted a price of $800 for my paint job, he does everything. If i were to bring it in sanded, he said he couldn't guarantee the job. I priced my primer/base paint (one color)/ clear coat for about $170. Thats all Dupont products, paint is Chroma.
        sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
        1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
        2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

That's a very fair price for a paint job..and especially for the materials. I use PPG exclusively, which runs a bit more.
          1979 GS1000S,

1982 Honda CX500 Turbo, 1982 Honda MB5 w/CR80 motor, 1977 Honda "nekid" Goldwing, 1976 Honda CB550F cafe', 1972 Honda XL250 cafe'

Comment

I recently used my local powder coat dude and he did a bang up job, IMO.
            The frame needed prepping but the tank and rear cowl were stripped and almost ready to go.

Frame $350, tank $350, rear cowl $ 150.
            -Mal

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." - B. Banzai

78 GS750E

Comment

Originally posted by nvr2old View Post
              That's a very fair price for a paint job..and especially for the materials. I use PPG exclusively, which runs a bit more.
              NVR, after seeing your results I would argue that whatever you charge is well worth the money. You deliver outstanding work! There's more than just a paint job going on there. It's a passion.

The quote I received for the tank and frame covers for $325 was for black metallic over my current black paint. There is one small ding in the tank and one crack in a frame cover that I have already repaired and just needs to be filled. They are not painting the bottom of the tank, which is black.

Honestly I was expecting a price of about $500, but in my neck of the woods body work seems to be less expensive than in other places. Both powder coat and paint are coming in way under what I expected. It sure doesn't make it nice to rebuild a bike though.

Comment

I believe you get what you pay for, but if you don't have a lot of money or a particularly outstanding bike for said paint job, maybe the challenge of rattle can is appealing. There's plenty of cheapskates out there who have documented their processes to the point where one could expect a reasonable result. Plus, it gives you something to crow about if it turns out nice. As for gas resistance? Don't get any on the paint! Use a paper towel to catch drips at the pump. Smear some JB Weld around the filler hole under the gas cap and you're good. I'm a DIYer and take pride in doing my own work, and I'll be the first to admit where I messed up but when you're going down the road no one can see how much you spent on paint.

Comment

I can always Line-X my bike for about $200 lol.
                  sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
                  1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
                  2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

Traded a stainless fridge for two paint jobs if that helps answer. I supplied material my cost 375$

Comment

I have several customers who specialize in painting and doing body work for the various Indycar and national drag racing teams. A couple have offered to paint at basically their cost for me, so I took one up on it a couple years ago.

He used Imron paints, did some dent removal/filling on the tank, performed plastic repair on the tail cowl and front fender, and did a total prep, prime, base coat, candy clear coat, decals (reproduction decals), final clear coat.

The bike was a GS1100E, all body parts were done, and my cost was a bit over $500, with essentially no charge for labor. If he had charged a normal rate for labor, it probably would have been closer to $800-$900.

If you want it done right, it's gonna cost some bucks.
                      sigpic

SUZUKI:
                      1978 GS1000E; 1980 GS1000G; 1982 GS650E; 1982 GS1100G; 1982 GS1100E; 1985 GS700ES
                      HONDA: 1981 CB900F Super Sport
                      KAWASAKI: 1981 KZ550A-2; 1984 ZX750A-2 (aka GPZ750); 1984 KZ700A-1
                      YAMAHA: 1983 XJ750RK Seca

Free speech is the foundation of an open society. Each time a society bans a word or phrase it deems “offensive”, it chips away at that very foundation upon which it was built.

Comment

$200 for the paint job and the supplies,sandpaper and problem plastic for cracks,did the prep and repairs n mods myself and my buddy shot the paint, had the olor on hand,has silver n gold flake in it.ask around local n see what they will charge if you do the labor and they have an acceptable color left over from previouse work.

Comment

this is pretty interesting reading its nice to see that you guys know that paint isnt cheap i deal with alot of people that think it is, theres two reasons i can do it so cheap[]cost of paint] i own my own shop and its nice to see the look on the owners face when i give them there parts. i might make a few bucks but sometime i lose a few

Comment

not just the paint but many hours went in prepping that thing and found 2 dents i didnt notice until sanding,said to my buddy "no wonder it's so expensive to have something painted"

Comment

Working...
                            X