Oil Caps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oil Caps

Are oil caps from all models of GS the same size?
    Thinking of doing some custom ones. Has anyone else done this?
    Love to see some pictures.

Thanks

I think you'd be the first on here, don't know whats available aftermarket, buy up some used ones and if you have a tig welder you could probably get creative, instead of the regular fin for twisting the cap, a big Suzuki "S" in it's place might be cool, not too elaborate.

Comment

They are all the same from 550 on up, I need a few caps.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by 240punk View Post
        Are oil caps from all models of GS the same size? Thinking of doing some custom ones. Has anyone else done this?
        Love to see some pictures.
        I had to help make a custom cap once. In the middle of a ride... Long story short, cap falls out and vanished. Used hardware store bits to make a new one.

Tried shower plugs, the smaller one worked ok...

Then with some real ingenuity we combined a light bulb socket, some rubber weatherstripping and duct tape. Threaded in like a charm and didn't even leak!

Ohh you wanted pictures of caps that looked good??? My mistake

Comment

Haha nice road fix.
          Anyone know the thread size offhand?
          These will be made on a lathe to make them more time efficient (And affordable). An "S" simple as it may be would definitely require some other machine work that would up the cost. I'm thinking some simple knurling on the side and some texture on the top with an o-ring groove of course.

Comment

If someone had access to a water jet, pre cut a bunch of the S-es (tire leaking or snake) then tig to an original cap, polish or paint.

Comment

A person-not me of course-having forgotten to replace their oil cap, could always whittle a wooden plug from some handy soft green tree limb. Leaving it long makes it easy to remove, and if care is taken with the diameter and a slight taper, will bite nicely and work well for several days. When it dries out, one can whittle another.

After such experiences, one carries a spare. Or two.

So Ive heard....

Comment

Originally posted by MAC10 View Post
                A person-not me of course-having forgotten to replace their oil cap, could always whittle a wooden plug from some handy soft green tree limb. Leaving it long makes it easy to remove, and if care is taken with the diameter and a slight taper, will bite nicely and work well for several days. When it dries out, one can whittle another.

After such experiences, one carries a spare. Or two.

So Ive heard....
                Yep, the wooden one worked fine when my wife lost her oil cap.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Working...
                X