Aluminum fabrication

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Aluminum fabrication

I scrounged a partial sheet of aluminum from my brother.
    It's about 18" x 48". He has a full 4' x 8' sheet if (when) I need more.
    Anyways, I started fabbing some brackets for my gs750.
    I don't have any pictures yet, but so far I have the tail light/license plate bracket cut.
    I actually had one cut yesterday and polished real nice, but screwed it up trying to bend it.
    So today I will attempt to make a folding tool. Then I can fold the bracket and get some pictures on here.

I will try to get a rear brake reservoir cover, battery box and headlight brackets out of the remaining material.
    It's too bad he doesn't have some stainless steel, I need to build some brackets for my SS grab bar.
    I don't suppose I can weld aluminum to stainless without corrosive results.

I started this thread to come back to and post some pictures, so I'll update when I can.

I didn't get home in time to build a folder, but I did pick up a 10" c-clamp with a 3" jaw.
    With it I was able to bend the bracket just the way I needed it.
    Here's some pictures of the material I'm using and the bracket.

I'm not quite done with it yet. I managed to scar it up while bending it.
    I'll have to sand and polish again. And I want to round the corners a bit.
    I still have to drill the holes for the tail light and the tag grommets.

More pictures to come after I get it mounted.

Comment

Looking good so far. Can't wait to see this progress.

Comment

Nice work.

Comment

I finally mounted the bracket and light to the fender. Still have some more work to do to it.
          I used the tag light bolts in the two holes above the tag slots to attach the bracket to the fender.
          This way, I don't have wires showing and it should light up the tag just as well.

Comment

Wow, looks great, how did you get that shine?

Comment

Looks very good but may I make a suggestion? The shelf part that the tail light sits on looks too square for the curves of the fender and the light itself. I think if you narrowed it down somewhat and rounded off the back edge ( i.e. make semicircular) it would integrate the lamp more.

Nice little project, well done and thanks for sharing.

cheers,
              spyug

On looking at it again, perhaps you could shape that back edge like the "diamond" like profile of the base of the lamp. I actually think that would look the best.
              Last edited by Guest; 04-28-2012, 06:34 PM.

Comment

Nice one! You've done well

I did some alu. fabrication on my 450 for the fork brace/front guard mount, battery box cover, Acewell speed sensor bracket, and the little dash to hold the gear position indicator and voltage monitor beside the Acewell gauge.

Like yourself I just used what I had available; bench vice and various C clamps. Seems to have worked well for me too.

I didn't polish mine up though, I either went the brushed look (fork brace/guard mount) or painted satin black.

How thick is that by the way? I've used one that's about 1mm for the dash, speedo sensor, and battery box cover, and 2.5mm for the brace/guard mount and the bottom part of the dash. That 2.5mm stuff sure is hard to bend!
                1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
                1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Nice work there....thanks for sharing
                  You did fit some rubber grommets between the fender and the bracket, right?

Comment

Very nicely done, I bet you could sell these on the forum and on ebay, just undersell the competition. Not just for Zuk owners either.

Comment

Originally posted by spyug View Post
                      Looks very good but may I make a suggestion? The shelf part that the tail light sits on looks too square for the curves of the fender and the light itself. I think if you narrowed it down somewhat and rounded off the back edge ( i.e. make semicircular) it would integrate the lamp more.

Nice little project, well done and thanks for sharing.

cheers,
                      spyug

On looking at it again, perhaps you could shape that back edge like the "diamond" like profile of the base of the lamp. I actually think that would look the best.
                      I was wanting to round it off a bit, but I"ll have to wait on my next trip to the hardware store to get some dremel stuff.
                      I already wore down all the bits I had on hand. The diamond idea sounds cool. I'll give it some thought.

Originally posted by pete View Post
                      Nice one! You've done well

I did some alu. fabrication on my 450 for the fork brace/front guard mount, battery box cover, Acewell speed sensor bracket, and the little dash to hold the gear position indicator and voltage monitor beside the Acewell gauge.

Like yourself I just used what I had available; bench vice and various C clamps. Seems to have worked well for me too.

I didn't polish mine up though, I either went the brushed look (fork brace/guard mount) or painted satin black.

How thick is that by the way? I've used one that's about 1mm for the dash, speedo sensor, and battery box cover, and 2.5mm for the brace/guard mount and the bottom part of the dash. That 2.5mm stuff sure is hard to bend!
                      I started working on a battery box this evening but haven't gotten much done yet.
                      I'm not exactly sure how thick it is, around 1/8" I guess. It's very hard to bend.
                      Originally posted by Flyboy View Post
                      Nice work there....thanks for sharing
                      You did fit some rubber grommets between the fender and the bracket, right?
                      Not yet, but I intend to. And a rubber gasket between the light and bracket. Just need to pick up some material.
                      Originally posted by old_skool View Post
                      Very nicely done, I bet you could sell these on the forum and on ebay, just undersell the competition. Not just for Zuk owners either.

Without the proper tools, mass producing would be too time consuming to be profitable.
                      A few for my friends may be something I would consider.

Comment

Harbor freight has two sizes of bench top metal breaks. Both fairly cheap. They're on my list of "needs" for the garage at some point.

Comment

This reminds me. Maybe I will just make my side covers out of some metal instead of plastic like I was working on. Plastic works, it's just a PITA compared to metal. Any kind of metal really. I will probably just use some thin diamond plate. A scrap metal place up by me usually has a bunch. it's $2 a lb for alum of any sort. Not too shabby.

Comment

This reminds me. Maybe I will just make my side covers out of some metal instead of plastic like I was working on. Plastic works, it's just a PITA compared to metal. Any kind of metal really. I will probably just use some thin diamond plate. A scrap metal place up by me usually has a bunch. it's $2 a lb for alum of any sort. Not too shabby.
                            You mean something like this......

Comment

Originally posted by Flyboy View Post
                              You mean something like this......
                              Ahh a Benelli Sei cafe conversion. Gorgeous. The next cafe project I do will look largely similar. Even down to the stacked pipes (though 4 into 4 instead of 6) if I can pull it off. Oddly, if you look at a stock Sei, it looks very GS like in cosmetic detail.
                              That bike is gorgeous. Horribly underpowered, but an inline 6 sounds like the balls, even if it only puts out 60 HP

Comment

Working...
                              X