Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS Front Head Light Ideas

I'm in love with this headlamp.

Has anyone, done something similar? Or mounted a bottom mount light?

How did you handle the wiring in the bucket? I've thought about making a little fuse box and tucking it.

Looking for some headlight ideas and or pics. Thanks

That's a nice light. I used a similar Emgo headlight for awhile (steel bucket), very nice, simple, and inexpensive. It has a hole in the bottom of the shell for the wiring, and there's also more room thatn in the stock GS light. Dime City also sells these, too (the "classic British-style"). You can easily replace the stock light with any side-mount 7" one. A smaller light will work, too, if you bend or angle the ears a little, or use Suzuki ears from an L model.

The only problem I had with the Emgo light was a short caused by a frayed wire touching the shell, which had not been a problem with the stock plastic bucket, but pretty soon manifested itself when the bike was run with the Emgo.
    Last edited by Guest; 04-27-2012, 11:03 AM.

Comment

I have had a headlight from a Yamaha XS 750 Special on one of my bikes for more than 30 years after the factory plastic bucket cracked from taking too many jumps.
      At the time,the factory plastic was $53.00 ! ($80.00 now)
      I bought the entire Yamaha headlight from a MC salvage yard for $15.
      Have you looked into using an L (parts bike's) model headlamp?

Eric

Comment

I changed my headlight for something like this one.

I still have a rat's nest of front end wiring though, and need to dig through and shorten some of the wires for my gauges, etc. to clean it up a bit.

Comment

Originally posted by MisterCinders View Post
          I changed my headlight for something like this one.

I still have a rat's nest of front end wiring though, and need to dig through and shorten some of the wires for my gauges, etc. to clean it up a bit.
          I like that light a lot!

Do you have any pics of the light installed on your bike?

I have a spare gs550L and a 750L, I've never looked at the headlamp though, they are both covered in surface rust.

Comment

The headlight is a bit hard to make out in these, but here they are:

and

Comment

That's the one I'm talking about. Available in black or chrome. A grommet on the wiring hole is a good idea. A GS headlight ear grommet works well.

Comment

Working...
              X