i have a dirty bike

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i have a dirty bike

Hey does anyone have any suggestions on how to clean a motor without damaging any wiring or pod filters or anything like that? I have a lot of old gas residue and oil on the motor itself as well as the exhaust. The kid I bought the bike from wasn't that keen on keeping it clean and now it is really stuck on there. I have fixed the oil issue and also fixed the gas leaking issue but now I have a really dirty bike. I was just wondering if there is anything out there that I could just spray on the motor and most of the metal parts and let it sit then lightly rinse it.

Elbow grease. I use .38 cal brass brushes & swabs between the fins, sit down, drink beer & watch speed channel. Soapy water, s-100, carb cleaner. Do not use orange citrus cleaners or other harsh stuff. Once clean it is easy to keep clean with simple washing.

Comment

Soak in WD40 and scrub with brush. Degrease. Rinse.

Comment

Wrap some baggies around the pods.

Comment

Hi,

Full strength Simple Green and a few cheap scrub brushes in various sizes/shapes from the dollar store. Spray,soak, scrub, rinse well, repeat as necessary.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Originally posted by BassCliff View Post
            Hi,

Full strength Simple Green and a few cheap scrub brushes in various sizes/shapes from the dollar store. Spray,soak, scrub, rinse well, repeat as necessary.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Eric

Comment

Simple Green gets my vote, works every time.

Comment

Please DO NOT USE Castrol Purple Power ( name? ) or similar...
                that stuff is amazing for lawnmowers, rototillers, but it took the shine off Acura TSX wheels... ruined them. Etched the paint.
                Too harsh !
                1980 GS1000G - The Beast - GOING... GOING... yup, it's gone. I'm bikeless !!! GAaaahh !!!
                1978 KZ1000C1 Police - GONE !
                1983 GPZ750, aka ZX750A1 - restored, fresh paint... Gave it back, it was a loaner !!!
                Check My Albums for some of the 30+ headaches I've dealt with

I know -JUST- enough to make me REALLY dangerous !

Comment

Originally posted by exdirtbiker View Post
                  Please DO NOT USE Castrol Purple Power ( name? ) or similar...
                  that stuff is amazing for lawnmowers, rototillers, but it took the shine off Acura TSX wheels... ruined them. Etched the paint.
                  Too harsh !
                  Good point.
                  It destroyed the paint on one of my side covers as well.

Eric

Comment

To remove gas/oil/grease/wax etc WD40 will do it lickety split without being harsh like some degreasers can be. And I will do it with relatively little scrubbing, which is nice if you've got black cases as scrubbing with bristle brushes will leave swirl marks if you're over zealous. Get a big can, hose it down, let it soak a few minutes, wipe it off. Then use a light duty cleaner like
                    Dawn (which is great also for removing grease) to get the residue from the WD off.

Comment

power washer, simple green, brushes, elbow grease and a 6 pack

Comment

Do not use "Gunk" or Supertech degreaser in a spray can, it will discolor (turns it yellow) and dry out your clear coat (ask me how I know) on the aluminum covers, wheels, etc. It does works well for the grease but what a price to pay.
                        sigpic
                        Steve
                        "The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Comment

Many of those degreasers are simply too harsh if not diluted to the point they're no longer effective. Which is why I like the WD40. And, if you dont rinse them really really well (especially on the black motors) they will leave a white residue that is simply a total PItA to get rid of. S100 works fabulously, but is bloody expensive so I usually clean it up with WD, hit the heavy deposits (front of the motor and frame where the road grime collects most) with Simple Green or Awesome! and then finish it off with S100 for that nice clean shine. The silver motors are so much easier to keep clean so long as you aren't spewing oil everywhere. The black engines look fantastic but to me are harder to keep looking fantastic.

Comment

Originally posted by TheCafeKid View Post
                            Many of those degreasers are simply too harsh if not diluted to the point they're no longer effective. Which is why I like the WD40. And, if you dont rinse them really really well (especially on the black motors) they will leave a white residue that is simply a total PItA to get rid of. S100 works fabulously, but is bloody expensive so I usually clean it up with WD, hit the heavy deposits (front of the motor and frame where the road grime collects most) with Simple Green or Awesome! and then finish it off with S100 for that nice clean shine. The silver motors are so much easier to keep clean so long as you aren't spewing oil everywhere. The black engines look fantastic but to me are harder to keep looking fantastic.

I have never used s100. The stuff like purple power has it's uses but I agree, not on stuff like painted/cleared surfaces.

Also, most black stuff, if it be engines or cars or whatever, looks awesome, but you are right, it gets dirty way too fast and then you're constantly chasing around trying to keep it clean. Hence why I love having a silver car.

Comment

Originally posted by 7981GS View Post
                              Good point.
                              It destroyed the paint on one of my side covers as well.

Eric
                              Yes it took the clearcoat off my pristine 83 750 ED engine covers, I'm glad that is all that got it. I was Pi#%ed to say the least.
                              1984 GS1100GK newest addition to the heard
                              80 GS 1000gt- most favorite ride love this bike
                              1978 GS1000E- Known as "RoadKill" , Finished
                              83 gs750ed- first new purchase
                              85 EX500- vintage track weapon
                              1958Ducati 98 Tourismo
                              “Remember When in doubt use full throttle, It may not improve the situation ,but it will end the suspense ,
                              If it isn't going to make it faster or safer it isn't worth doing

Comment

Working...
                              X