What Fairing should I go with??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What Fairing should I go with??

I'm looking for some input on which fairing you folks think would look best.

Option 1; [IMG][/IMG]

Option 2; [IMG][/IMG]
    Option 3; No fairing,[IMG][/IMG]
    Viper fairing
    47.06%
    Maier fairing
    35.29%
    no fairing
    17.65%

What about this one from Air Tech? You could build a better Cooley rep.

Comment

I never really liked fairings until I got my bike with the viper fairing on it. This is the best picture I have at the moment, but I think it gives it a smoother look.

Comment

I'm personally thinking about this one: http://www.airtech-streamlining.com/...e/Dunstall.htm

It's more expensive but it looks to be a higher quality, but I don't know that for sure. But mostly I like the way it looks. It looks more old school to me. Of course the Viper is much cheaper and is already black (if you have a black bike) so it depends on how much you want to invest into your bike.

Comment

Decided to go with the maier fairing.
          [IMG][/IMG]
          Gonna cut it down a bit, removing the areas with RED tape on it. Whatcha think??

Comment

I prefer the Wes Cooley fairing myself, to me the rest are just imitations.

Just my .02

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote." Benjamin Franklin, 1759

Comment

That looks like it will work fine.

Eric

Comment

is that an unerseat exhaust i see under construction?
                1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

Originally posted by Agemax View Post
                  Good eye old Wise Man.

Eric

Comment

Originally posted by 7981GS View Post
                    Good eye old Wise Man.

Eric
                    the force is with me tonight haha
                    1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

Originally posted by Agemax View Post
                      DING DING DING!!!! Winner winner, chicken dinner, you sir are correct.

I started with a Vance and Hines 4-1 header, I custom fabricated the mid pipe and used an unknown make, reverse-coned muffler.
                      It's all fabbed up and tack welded together, I just need to Tig weld it together.
                      I still need to order some stainless brake lines, order some decent rear shocks (progressive?), build a seat pan/get it covered, finish body work (1 piece tail section), Etc. Etc.

I hope to have it running/riding in the next month or so. After I know everything works well together, I'll blow it apart for powder coating and paint.
                      Knowing me, the paint/beautifing will not happen till winter sets in, so, flat black for the summer it is!!

Comment

Some form of heat shield under the seat/tail in the plans?

Eric

Comment

Originally posted by 7981GS View Post
                          Some form of heat shield under the seat/tail in the plans?

Eric
                          Yes and yes.
                          I'll be putting heat tiles on the seat and tail; http://www.maier-mfg.com/catalog/12-x-12-heat-tile-kit
                          I might fab up an alum. heat shield as well, just to be cool....get it? to be cool

And I'll be wrapping the exhaust in header wrap from collector to tip.
                          I "might" wrap the header as well, have to see what it looks like on the finished bike to decide.

Comment

Which Fairing

Looks like you've made a decision but I thought it was worth mentioning that I had pretty good luck with this fairing on my '83 GS1100E. The mounting actually took a couple of tries as did the final finish, but it looks great and works well:

Good luck with the project. Looking forward to seeing it when complete.

Comment

Originally posted by GlenT. View Post
                              Looks like you've made a decision but I thought it was worth mentioning that I had pretty good luck with this fairing on my '83 GS1100E. The mounting actually took a couple of tries as did the final finish, but it looks great and works well:

Good luck with the project. Looking forward to seeing it when complete.
                              Could you post some pictures of it on your bike and some of the mounts?

Eric

Comment

Working...
                              X