New Tank Paint

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Tank Paint

My tank job is getting pretty close. The knee dents have a coat of bed-liner, but it ended up forgiving fewer prep sins than I anticipated. Taping the curves around those dents left a few too many corners as well. Here are some crappy phone pics of the current state of things:

If possible, I hope to gently sand down the bed-liner at the edges and work in a white stripe to set the dents off a bit. There are also some runs in the bed-liner that I hope will sand down like paint. We'll see.

Keep it the way you had it! It looked much better without the bed liner

-Dave
    82 GS1100E
    five asses because it's far superior to having just four!
    Yes, I watched too much South Park!

Comment

Originally posted by 5azzmonkey View Post
      Keep it the way you had it! It looked much better without the bed liner

-Dave
      This is a second tank. So I can still go with the non pad look.

Comment

I like it! Smooth those edges off and it should look great...
        1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
        1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Good luck smoothing anything on the bedliner.

I know that Dogma has had some "fun" tryng to do work on his.

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
            Good luck smoothing anything on the bedliner.

I know that Dogma has had some "fun" tryng to do work on his.

No doubt that bedliner will be a bitch to work with. Pretty surprised that it ran on me, since I went VERY light and only mist coated that stuff, precisely out of concern that it might not sand out like a paint run.

To work out the edges, it should still be OK if I cannot truly level it out like a real paint finish. Even somewhat rough halo around the dark pad portion with some white paint could be a good transition from smooth yellow paint -> rough white border -> gritty bed-liner black.

Or I can dump a half can of stripper on the damn thing and start again for a 4th attempt on this tank.

We'll see.

Comment

Something to maybe consider would be to take some 1/8" tape and mask a nice smooth line around and as close to the bed liner edge as you can to make it look right and then spray it all black again right over the liner. Just a thought.
              1979 GS1000S,

1982 Honda CX500 Turbo, 1982 Honda MB5 w/CR80 motor, 1977 Honda "nekid" Goldwing, 1976 Honda CB550F cafe', 1972 Honda XL250 cafe'

Comment

What model bike is this new tank from? I notice it doesn't the locking gas cap door.

Or did you take off the door and fill in the recessed area?

Comment

Originally posted by MadCapsule View Post
                  What model bike is this new tank from? I notice it doesn't the locking gas cap door.

Or did you take off the door and fill in the recessed area?
                  It's a 1977-78 GS750 tank. Ditched the fuel door and used bondo to fill in the recess and badge holes. Hammered in some knee-dents.

The bed-liner misadventure is behind me. Stripped it down again and will re-paint. The knee-dents wash out with all that yellow, so I'd like to set them off with some kind of paint scheme. Might try to pick up the purple/white in the stripe and paint the dents white with a purple border, if I can tighten up my masking techniques. Should probably just get some frisk paper.

Pretty stoked about my insignia idea. Since the color scheme is LSU (GEAUX TIGERS!), I will stencil "LSU" at the badge position, but use the Suzuki stylized "S" and make it slightly larger than the "L" and "U."

Comment

Here is the latest iteration. Still need to tighten up the S with some white I think.

Comment

Originally posted by MisterCinders View Post
                      Here is the latest iteration. Still need to tighten up the S with some white I think.
                      Yuk.
                      I wouldn't want to be seen on it.

JMHO.

Eric

Comment

Originally posted by 7981GS View Post
                        Yuk.
                        I wouldn't want to be seen on it.

JMHO.

Eric
                        Then I'll not let you ride it.

I have gone through another iteration of the S design. But scrubbed that one as well for another attempt.

Been playing with how to set up the 'S' working with just tape. Stencils from the Michael's here are just cellophane without adhesive, and I didn't find any frisk paper.

Ultimately, I am working towards this in white with purple outline (to mimic the center stripe).

Here is another example with some outlining.

I would only go with 2 colors, however, not 3 like this image.

Comment

Sorry, I deleted the pic from my Photobucket album. Didn't want it to infect the album.
                          Last edited by Guest; 05-23-2012, 05:51 PM.

Comment

Oh noez!! EBAY... find a red suzuki decal... get rid of the LSU, decal the S in place... clear it... leave it.

Doing the LSU looks like you took an awesome custom bike and had a 15 year old child with down syndrome do the graphics. No offence if you did. My cousin has down syndrome... she loves to paint.

I do love the yellow and stripe... it looks 1000x better with the dents yellow.

Comment

Working...
                            X