Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Leather or Vinyl seat cover? Gel? how thick?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Leather or Vinyl seat cover? Gel? how thick?

Just got a quote from the local upholstery shop (Grateful Threads) for redoing the seat on my 1980 GS450ST:

$250 for new foam and vinyl
    add $100 for 1/4" gel, $125 for 1/2" gel
    add $100 for leather instead of vinyl.

Am thinking it is worth the extra $125 for the 1/2" gel. Any thoughts about whether Leather is worth another $100?

Thanks,

Francis
    Austin, Texas

1980 GS450ST

I think I would go with vinyl. Leather doesn't like water. I'd pass on gel, too. They're pretty cushy already.
    1979 GS1000S,

1982 Honda CX500 Turbo, 1982 Honda MB5 w/CR80 motor, 1977 Honda "nekid" Goldwing, 1976 Honda CB550F cafe', 1972 Honda XL250 cafe'

Comment

Gel or no gel

Originally posted by nvr2old View Post
      I think I would go with vinyl. Leather doesn't like water. I'd pass on gel, too. They're pretty cushy already.

Never ridden on a get seat, but it seems to be such a big deal in some of the forums. I'm trying to figure out if I am actually missing something. The guy at the shop said the existing foam was shot, so I figured new foam would firm things up to where I was no longer sinking into the seat.

Thanks,

Francis
      Austin, Texas
      1980 GS450ST

Comment

This is a real personal decison, leather or not. I prefer leather, always have. True, rain isn't great for a leather seat, but, a little care and the seat is fine. My leather jacket, and leather Corbin seat have held up pretty well over the years.

I've never had a gel seat, but I've heard you have to be careful not to let them sit in the direct sun, or they got quite warm, and that then transfers to your behind . I imagine they're quite comfortable, probably just need a little care, like leather.
        Scott
        1982 GS1000S #1 bought in 84, #2 gone, #3 in hibernation
        1983 GS1100ES #1 (bought in 03, July 09 BOM, 65k traded in 17), #2 New daily rider, #3 in hibernation
        1982 GS1100E Red #1 - Original owner, sold in 93, #2 (Red) sold in 20 to Andy B
        2018 Gold Wing Tour - new out of the crate 1st non-Suzuki in 38 years
        sigpic

Comment

Had my seat redone here recently, new foam and vinyl cover for $132 bucks, there is pic of it on a thread here. Seat look better now then when it was new.
          sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
          1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
          2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

Am begining to wonder whether to just do it myself

I've been thinking about the cost and since the vinyl cover is in good shape, that perhaps I might be able to pull it off before I spend the $$ to have someone else do it. Wondering what others' experiences have been.

Francis
            Austin, Texas
            1980 GS450S

Comment

NO PIC THANKS TO FOTO BUCKET FOR BEING RIDICULOUS

Current Rides: 1980 Suzuki GS1000ET, 2009 Yamaha FZ1, 1983 Honda CB1100F, 2006 H-D Fatboy
              Previous Rides: 1972 Yamaha DS7, 1977 Yamaha RD400D, '79 RD400F Daytona Special, '82 RD350LC, 1980 Suzuki GS1000E (sold that one), 1982 Honda CB900F, 1984 Kawasaki GPZ900R

Comment

whichever you choose make sure they dont stitch tru material on top, my travelcade cover has a stitch pattern that allows for water to get into cushion during long rains.

Comment

I was planning on redoing my seat this winter and I was thinking bout going with 1/2 of memory foam on top of new regular foam. Way I was thinking this would put a stop to the hot gel problem but still get that riding down the street on a lazyboy feeling.

Comment

I got my 450ST's seat recovered (in original stitch pattern) and foam reupholstered for ZAR300 (roughly US$40).

Bargain!

Comment

Working...
                    X