Anodizing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anodizing

So has anyone had any of their aluminum parts (covers, shift/brake leavers) anodized? If so how did the cost compare to paint. How's it look? Any fitment problems afterwards?

Not for a few years but the cost was ok - a fair bit more than paint but not killer. Don't worry about the fit - it only adds microns on to the thickness.
    79 GS1000S
    79 GS1000S (another one)
    80 GSX750
    80 GS550
    80 CB650 cafe racer
    75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
    75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Originally posted by hampshirehog View Post
      it only adds microns on to the thickness.
      This is really the main reason I'm considering this. Paint always looks 'thick' on engine parts to me. Anodizing seems to retain more detail.

I'll have to check into pricing. I know there is a local shop that does this kind of work, but how much they'll charge is still up in the air.

Comment

I like annodizing. But be aware that the colored annodizing is actually a dye and some of the dyes fade kind of funny, like the reds will turn pink if left in the sun, and will eventually fade anyway. It's also hard to get all anodized parts the same color, even if they are done at the same time in the same baths. This is because the aluminum alloys are slightly different from one part to the next. Even black parts will look different when put next to each other.

I like annodizing for small parts to add a bit of bling here and there. For larger parts, consider powdercoating and the parts will all have the same color.

Comment

AJ, Thanks! That's the kinda info I was hoping to get. Well not that it might not work as I expect. I didnt want to hear that. But I'd rather understand the concerns up front rather than get it home and go, "Ugh!"

I was concerned about the fact that these parts are cast. I was considering black though, so maybe it wouldn't look terrible. We'll see once I start checking into paint. I am thinking I'll powder coat the frame, so maybe I can get a price break if I do it all at once.

Originally posted by AJ View Post
          I like annodizing. ... This is because the aluminum alloys are slightly different from one part to the next. Even black parts will look different when put next to each other.

I like annodizing for small parts to add a bit of bling here and there. For larger parts, consider powdercoating and the parts will all have the same color.

Comment

anodizing is good for small aluminium parts and lasts well if looked after, although they have to be perfect before anodizing or they look cr@p!
            powder coating is good for bigger parts and frames etc and is really hard and durable.
            also available in a fantastic range of colours nowadays.
            bear in mind if you get your frame coated you will have to run through every hole and thread and maybe sand down a few bits (eg. swing arm pivot) when refitting all the parts
            1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

Agemax is right about needing to get the parts perfect before anodizing, whereas powdercoating will cover the worst of sins.

On the other hand, powercoating also takes some rework. For example, engine covers and valve covers will likely need their mating surfaces filed a bit afterwards to get them to seal, but filing off a little plastic is a LOT easier than getting all your metal looking beautiful before anodizing. If you do go the powdercoat route, make sure your coater doesn't go stingy on the little silicone plugs. Sometimes these guys try to go cheap on you, but then they cost you work in the end.

Comment

all powder coating work i have had done i have let them bead blast it first then masked/plugged up everything myself
                1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

OK guys, I think you've talked me out of anodizing. :P

I'll definitely be picking brains more when I get ready to paint (trying to wait until fall/winter to teardown and rebuild)

Comment

Check this out it is pretty easy and actually a bit of fun. I have done it with some success and no variation in parts

Comment

I didn't know this till a while back but the colour in anodizing is achieved by using food colouring.
                      sigpic

Don't say can't, as anything is possible with time and effort, but, if you don't have time things get tougher and require more effort.

Comment

That's the cheap way and it doesn't do very well at all

Comment

Working...
                        X