Post a pic of your saddlebag brackets?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Post a pic of your saddlebag brackets?

I'm thinking about making my own saddlebag brackets and I've got some ideas, but was wondering if anyone has already done it. If so, could you post a pic so I can see how you did it? Thanks.

What bike? What kind of saddlebags?

Comment

There is a member here named steve that has some pics he made for one of his 850's. You could try sending him a PM for some pics.

Comment

Originally posted by wisgolfer59 View Post
        What bike? What kind of saddlebags?
        Ah yes, that would help.

1978 GS750. I guess I was thinking something more on the low-tech side of things (something I can fabricate with a hacksaw/pipecutter and some ingenuity). I'm imagining metal tubing with elbows and some sort of clamp to secure them to the luggage rack I've got.

Comment

Originally posted by dr_fosg8 View Post
          There is a member here named steve that has some pics he made for one of his 850's. You could try sending him a PM for some pics.
          Do you know his username?

Comment

It is Steve.

Comment

It is Steve.
              He's an OG, huh? Thanks man, I'll get in touch.

Comment

Or you could just try to convince him to post it here for everyone to see.

Originally posted by beardedmonkey View Post
                Do you know his username?
                It is Steve.
                Yep, read it again (highlighted this time).
                There is a member here named steve that has some pics he made for one of his 850's.
                He's an OG, huh? Thanks man, I'll get in touch.
                OK, I give up, what's on "OG"?

Not really "saddlebag mounts", as they are just leather saddlebags thrown over the rear fender, under the seat on an 850L.
                What I made was just brackets to keep them supported off the mufflers and away from the wheel.

The "normal" mounts, zip-tied to the seat latch to keep them from sliding forward.

Using 1 x 1/8 flat stock and 5/16" rod, I used threaded holes in the frame just behind the shock mounts at the front, ...

... and holes in the luggage rack at the rear.

I bent the rod to help support the bottoms of the bags and keep them off the mufflers.

This is the clearance with the bags installed. With the slight droop at the outer edge, you can't see the brackets at all.

Not the best picture, but shows how they look (or work, since you can't see them).

sigpic
                mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                Family Portrait
                Siblings and Spouses
                Mom's first ride
                Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post

OK, I give up, what's on "OG"?
                  OG

Original gangster
                  someone who has been around, old school gangster

OG used to mean Original Gangster allthough some poeple these days use OG as a quicker way of saying Original

Just figured anyone who can just use his first name must have "been around" for a while.

Comment

JB Weld would probably do the trick, huh?

Comment

What "trick"?

There is nothing in that assembly that would be either enabled or enhanced by JB Weld.

sigpic
                      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                      Family Portrait
                      Siblings and Spouses
                      Mom's first ride
                      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                        What "trick"?

There is nothing in that assembly that would be either enabled or enhanced by JB Weld.

J&B to attach the rod to the flat stock, right? How did you do it?

Comment

J&B to attach the rod to the flat stock, right? How did you do it?
                          That will require a real weld for that.

Comment

Steve, Who dat on the wife's Suzuki? Never saw a pix of Mrs. Steve and it does not look like you.

Comment

Working...
                            X