What bike does this tank go to?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What bike does this tank go to?

I have a spare fuel tank for my 1983 gs550e that I got with a parts bike. However, it has a smaller gas cap hole in it. My cap wont fit in it and I dont have one for it. It is entirely identical to my original tank aside from this feature. Can anyone help me figure out what bike this goes to so I can sell it and have the right info for any buyers? Thanks!

Pics would help us ID the part.

Comment

I "think" at that time there was a Californa smog model gas tank and a 49 state gas tank ..Does one of the tanks have some "hose barbs" for the vapor can that the other does not ..?

I could be wrong if I am gang let me know...

Comment

Unless and until we see some pictures, we will have to assume that you don't really have a tank.

We are borderline omniscient, we are still working on clairvoyant.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

This one in grey is my good tank that has a cap

Comment

Based on the apparent knee "dents" and the two-hole mounting system, it appears to be from '82 or newer.

Based on the apparent size, probably a 750 or larger.

sigpic
            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Actually, the previous pic is from an 83 550e. Thats the tank I have a cap for. The attached pic here shows the bottom of the two. The one on the right has smaller cap and a little hose barb coming off the bottom.

Comment

Some pics from the top and both sides for the tank you are trying to ID will be required. The pic of the bottom is good as there were some models/years that had odd petcock location, but some topside pics will be helpfull.

Comment

Originally posted by haztoys View Post
                  I "think" at that time there was a Californa smog model gas tank and a 49 state gas tank ..Does one of the tanks have some "hose barbs" for the vapor can that the other does not ..?

I could be wrong if I am gang let me know...
                  ^^^^I think this is the case.

See link below. Special fuel cap for california only for this bike, and one other regular cap. Odd they would use a different size cap.

Comment

Yea, neither my phone or computer will upload photos. Ill try load them as i can.

Comment

Originally posted by flyhunter3825 View Post
                      Yea, neither my phone or computer will upload photos. Ill try load them as i can.
                      Did you read my post.........?

Comment

Yea i did. Thats gotta be the case. I looked at the link dr fosg8 posted and it looks like the second 2 tank selections. The key hole for my cap is off center to the front of cap, not the center like the cali models seem to be. Thanks for all the help, and if anyone has anymore input feel free to let me know, otherwise im going to assume i have a cali model tank.

Comment

To use pictures in the forum it works best to load them on to a photo service site, and then insert the link.
                          Read this:

Comment

Working...
                          X