Tank Shaping

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tank Shaping

I have two extra fuel tanks. The knee-dents on my current tank are sweet -- though I could have done a much better job of smoothing the dent surface.

For my alternate set of tank/panels/seat, I definitely will modify another tank. At a minimum, I plan to ditch the fuel door and level out that part as well as the emblem anchor points. After playing around with seat concepts, I may also try another set of kneed dents or other reshaping.

Has anyone done more substantial alterations to the tank shape? I've been looking at other tank images, especially the Dunstall style of boxy tank with top-to-bottom indents for the knees. Something like this:

or this:

To bang that kind of shape from a standard tank, however, would require relocating the petcock holes or at least altering the shape of the bottom seam and the ridge at the top of the tank.

All the knee-dent work I have seen has been within the side area, without altering the top "corner" where the side rolls over to the top or the bottom ridge of the tank. Are those hard limitations on tank hammering?

Love to see more pics of DIY hammered knee-dents for further inspiration ITT.

TIA
Working...
X