Paint detail ideas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Paint detail ideas

I'm planning on painting my bike this winter and I know I'm not going to go with a factory color, but I'm having trouble with the details. I don't want it to be a solid color. I'm debating adding some of the OEM pin striping, but with my color scheme.

This bike isn't mine, but is the same model and very close to the color I want to go with.

It looks good but it's just a little bland.

I'm also debating decal badges vs. screw-on badges.

The color scheme is the yellow with black and red. I'm going to repowder-coat the frame black and paint the calipers red.

I'm using my car as inspiration:

Yellow, black and red could look good, but I would minimize the black paint part, since the frame already provides a lot of black.

I like a center stripe (obviously) and yellow (again, obviously). Yellow with a pair of red stripes down the center of the tank and tail would be sweet. Then you can pick up the red/black on the side panels with a model designation (the stock badge is black and red, for instance).

You might pick up some red on the fender with another strip or some red tips at each end, but it would also look good with just yellow.

HTH

Comment

For what it's worth here's one of my old 550s I sold a few years ago. In the photo she's wearing one yellow wheel and one black as I was trying to decide which way to go. Ended up with 2 yellow wheels.

Before you ask those are VM carbs on an 81 550 (with a 79 head on to make it work). And that was probably the last new Harris 4-1 for a 550 in the world.
      79 GS1000S
      79 GS1000S (another one)
      80 GSX750
      80 GS550
      80 CB650 cafe racer
      75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
      75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

I want to be semi-minimal with the red, just as accents. Enough to keep it looking like a bumblebee/wasp.

This is one idea I thought of, but I'm not sure how to translate that to the side covers very well.

Comment

She is a beaut! I can see the yellow wheels, but I think i'm going to go the polished with metallic gray accents, again following the GLI color pallet. It'll be work, but I'll be polishing the hell out of my engine anyway, what is a little more aluminum?

Originally posted by hampshirehog View Post
          For what it's worth here's one of my old 550s I sold a few years ago. In the photo she's wearing one yellow wheel and one black as I was trying to decide which way to go. Ended up with 2 yellow wheels.

Comment

Fairing ideas

These are the two fairing ideas I have thus far. The stripe one would match the tank better but the swoop one would hold the lines of the fairing better.

Comment

Those offset filler caps mess things up on top of the tank I always think and it's easier to put stripes on the side. You could blend those in to side panels easier and keep everything symmetrical.
              79 GS1000S
              79 GS1000S (another one)
              80 GSX750
              80 GS550
              80 CB650 cafe racer

Comment

i reccomend going with the offset faring paintjob rather than the harley look alike!
                just my oponion

Comment

Originally posted by Reaper0001 View Post
                  i reccomend going with the offset faring paintjob rather than the harley look alike!
                  just my oponion
                  Didn't even know that was a Harley thing. Funny.

I looked on Google but didn't see any examples of what you were talking about. Can you shoot me a link or something?
                  Last edited by Guest; 06-05-2012, 03:02 PM.

Comment

its just a joke
                    the stripe is more sporty but the u shape is more a cruising type

Comment

This is what I'm using for reference:

The Cooley look but with the fairing there in red. It's an Airtech Dunstall

I considered the Cooley fairing because it would be more Suzuki, but I couldn't find a screen for the replica and I kinda like the look of the Dunstall a bit better.

Comment

Why not try for the Cooley race bike look? I reckon it would work in yellow.

I'm toying with doing my latest S in race bike style but in white.
                        79 GS1000S
                        79 GS1000S (another one)
                        80 GSX750
                        80 GS550
                        80 CB650 cafe racer

Comment

I've always thought the best stripe designs complimented the lines of the piece you're doing, enhancing the lines that are already there. The stripes on a Cooley, for example..tank and fairing swoop, side covers and tail are straight.
                          1979 GS1000S,

1982 Honda CX500 Turbo, 1982 Honda MB5 w/CR80 motor, 1977 Honda "nekid" Goldwing, 1976 Honda CB550F cafe', 1972 Honda XL250 cafe'

Comment

Originally posted by MAJikMARCer View Post
                            I want to be semi-minimal with the red, just as accents. Enough to keep it looking like a bumblebee/wasp.

This is one idea I thought of, but I'm not sure how to translate that to the side covers very well.

This looks awesome, consider this, going with the similar stripe on the fairing, paint the rims yellow, with the red accent stripe on each side, going black or grey on rims always seem to grunge it down, and you've already got a good idea going, I was either going to do the exact same color scheme or go a white and red, undecided, but either way, my rims will be painted to match, also, ditch the tank emblems for a Suzuki decal in red/black to match or the big "S" in black with a red border, side covers, same wide strip down the side with the cc in a yellow decal over the black stripe. try those combo's on a paint program. And of course, similar treatment for the fenders.

What program are you using for your demo pics?? I may steal some of your ideas this fall/winter.....imitation is the biggest form of flattery

Comment

i like your ideas about the coolie but that is also copying someone elses work try to modify the stripe on the farring a bit for example mabey a diagonal or a upside down coolie? or the stright line would look cool too!

Comment

Working...
                              X