Advice for case guard install

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Advice for case guard install

Finally won an auction on ebay for case guards on my 1978 GS 750. Question: anything special I should know about installing them? They're 3-point, and they came off another bike so I'm assuming the long bolt that comes with them is long enough (I've read that it's sometimes not), but I've also read people having concerns about leaving the engine mounted only to the rear bolts. Suggestions?

Originally posted by beardedmonkey View Post
    Finally won an auction on ebay for case guards on my 1978 GS 750. Question: anything special I should know about installing them? They're 3-point, and they came off another bike so I'm assuming the long bolt that comes with them is long enough (I've read that it's sometimes not), but I've also read people having concerns about leaving the engine mounted only to the rear bolts. Suggestions?
    When I put mine on my 850, a new long bolt came with them. But I also had to replace 1 bolt on the bottom and a spacer to make them fit right.

I didn't compromise or eliminate any of the engine mounting bolts. If that had been necessary, I would not have put the guards on. Just my opinion....

Comment

If it isn't a three-point mount, it is pretty much worthless except if the bike is tipped over when parked.
      Any bolts that you need for installation should be at least grade 10.9
      I use grade 12.9 myself.

Eric

Comment

Originally posted by 850GT_Rider View Post
        I didn't compromise or eliminate any of the engine mounting bolts. If that had been necessary, I would not have put the guards on. Just my opinion....
        Oh no I didn't mean remove them permanently, I just meant while I was installing them -- read someone talking about jacking it up, and I'm wondering if that's necessary.

Originally posted by 850GT_Rider View Post
        When I put mine on my 850, a new long bolt came with them. But I also had to replace 1 bolt on the bottom and a spacer to make them fit right.
        A spacer like any old washer from a hardware store?

Originally posted by 7981GS View Post
        If it isn't a three-point mount, it is pretty much worthless except if the bike is tipped over when parked.
        Any bolts that you need for installation should be at least grade 10.9
        I use grade 12.9 myself.
        That's what I was thinking too. I've had the rounder, 2-point ones on other bikes and one got bent out of shape by just being knocked over by a drunk friend while parked. Only thing I'm a little worried about is that the round ones made for a million different ways to position the highway pegs, while these have a more square shape. Then again, the million different ways to position the pegs also meant a million ways for one to be slightly asymmetrical from the other. Oh well -- luxury problems

Comment

These are the ones that I have on my 850, you can remove the case bolts to mount with no problem, they should also be re-torqued when you install, if not it causes stress on the frame and vibration. The spacer on my 850 is about 9/16 wide, yours may be different. with the two top bolts in place you will be able to figure out what you need there and you should be able to get something from a hardware.

Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by bbjumper View Post
            These are the ones that I have on my 850, you can remove the case bolts to mount with no problem, they should also be re-torqued when you install, if not it causes stress on the frame and vibration. The spacer on my 850 is about 9/16 wide, yours may be different. with the two top bolts in place you will be able to figure out what you need there and you should be able to get something from a hardware.

Cheers

Perfect! But re-torqued... do I need a torque wrench?

Comment

Perfect! But re-torqued... do I need a torque wrench?
              Unless you have a calibrated arm, ... YES.

You should have a couple of them around, anyway.
              At a minimum, you should have a 1/4" drive and a 3/8" drive.

sigpic
              mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
              hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
              #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
              #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
              Family Portrait
              Siblings and Spouses
              Mom's first ride
              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
              (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                Unless you have a calibrated arm, ... YES.

You should have a couple of them around, anyway.
                At a minimum, you should have a 1/4" drive and a 3/8" drive.

Missed that upgrade on my arm So... how much am I looking at spending here?

Comment

Sweet! I'm glad you got those, I saw them and was going to send you the link!

Comment

Originally posted by crapwacker View Post
                    Sweet! I'm glad you got those, I saw them and was going to send you the link!
                    I love winning on ebay... and I can't stand those knuckleheads who start boosting the price days before the auction is over! Felt good to sit there without placing a bid until the time dropped to 30 seconds, then swoop in there out of nowhere!

Comment

Missed that upgrade on my arm So... how much am I looking at spending here?
                      I bought mine at Harbor Freight when they've been on sale, pretty cheap that way. I'm sure they're not as accurate as Snap-on's, but better than nothing.

Comment

Originally posted by cj7jeep81 View Post
                        I bought mine at Harbor Freight when they've been on sale, pretty cheap that way. I'm sure they're not as accurate as Snap-on's, but better than nothing.
                        True... I'm still interested in that calibrated arm upgrade though...

Comment

Just sharing

Thought I would share my "mod" for these case guards. It is on my '82 GS 1100L. I'm 5'10"... and I love it.

First, I bought some different pegs. The small footpads that come with the guards are too small for me. Not sure where I got them, but I'm sure they will be easy to find.

Secondly, the way I mounted the pegs they would point at a 45 degree angle away from me. I moved them where I wanted them and cranked down, but they would always vibrate their way down.

So, I tapped the pegs and put a bolt in for adjusting them (with a jam nut). Now, I have pegs that are where I want them, plus I can fold them up when I'm parking the bike next to the wall. I'm 100% satisfied with them.

Here are a few pics:

Comment

I see from the pics you already mounted them.. I was gonna add that a litle longer lower engine bolt would be needed but be VERY VERY carefull it isnt too long. As you tighten the bolt it will puncture the engine case if its too long.Take some good looks at what your gonna use well before the wrenches go to work!!!
                            MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                            1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Originally posted by chuck hahn View Post
                              I see from the pics you already mounted them.. I was gonna add that a litle longer lower engine bolt would be needed but be VERY VERY carefull it isnt too long. As you tighten the bolt it will puncture the engine case if its too long.Take some good looks at what your gonna use well before the wrenches go to work!!!
                              This is what I had read about and was making me nervous. I'm having a hard time trying to picture this but maybe it'll make more sense when I get them...

Comment

Working...
                              X