Filler that works under powdercoat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Filler that works under powdercoat

This may be old news to some, but I was always under the impression that you couldn't use bog or filler under powdercoat, only paint. But my local powdercoater - who is an rider himself - told me that he has found a putty that works under powdercoat.

The issues that normal putty has are that either the powder won't adhere to it as you need an electrostatic charge for the powder to stick and that most putties melt while in the oven curing the powder. Apparently this stuff works well - http://www.devcon.com/products/produ...0HVAC%20Repair - and I'm going to try it on my fuel tank.

As the seat I am using is a little smaller than the stock seat was (!) you can see a few small dents in the tank that were hidden by the stock seat. Also it will let me hide the logo mounting bars on the side of the tank for a clean, debadged look. I might even be able to smooth out and disguise the welded seam at the back edge of the tank. FWIW this putty is even supposed to have very good resistance to gasoline.

Anyway I'll let you all know how it goes. I thought this was a good find by my powdercoater and I hope it works out as expected. They also make a steel repair putty too - maybe that one would be even better?

A business named Eastwood is based around my home and they sell restoration products mostly through their catalogue but they sell a similar product called "Hi-Temp Lab Metal"

Make permanent, rustproof, metal repairs...no mixing or measuring
    1982 Suzuki GS1100GLZ
    1988 Suzuki VS750GLP SOLD 10/2009

Comment

That looks really promising too. The Devcon stuff doesn't have quite as high a temperature rating but is just high enough for the powdercoater's oven. Apparently he ran some tests and it worked out well. Also the Devcon stuff is a 2-part epoxy so adheres really well. It can even be used as a glue.

I just bought some Devcon and will have a blasted tank to work on some time next week. I'll try to remember to take pics of the process. One bonus is that I can get this product locally - woohoo! That's rare!

If it doesn't work out then I may be looking to try some "Hi-Temp Lab Metal"...

Comment

Working...
      X