A skunk in disguise?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A skunk in disguise?

I restored my GS 1000 EC a couple of years ago but I didn't realize it must be one of the early skunks.
    The gas tank is obviously more recent as it doesn't have the indents but the tail cover has them.
    More significantly the rear swingarm is of a larger diameter ( 43 mm) than the later GS 1000's (38 mm).
    The engine is also missing the front little bolt between the cylinder head and the cylinder block.
    The airbox has the caracteristic fins also.
    I'm sure there are other differences I haven't spotted?
    The frame vin is : 513829 and the engine: 120517
    Here a some pictures:

Last edited by John Kat; 06-17-2012, 05:29 AM. Reason: more data
    sigpicJohn Kat
    My bikes: CB 77, GS 1000 ST Cafe Racer with GSXR 1052 engine, GS 1000 ST, XR 41 Replica with GS 1085 engine,
    GS 1100 SZ Katana with GS 1135 EFF engine, KTM Superduke 1290 R 2020

Another beauty, John.
    What are the tank badges from? Did you paint them yourself?
    2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Originally posted by steve murdoch View Post
      Another beauty, John.
      What are the tank badges from? Did you paint them yourself?
      Thanks Steve.
      The tank badges are the OEM ones but painted the same "Wes Cooley" blue as the tank.
      No, I didn't paint them myself
      sigpicJohn Kat
      My bikes: CB 77, GS 1000 ST Cafe Racer with GSXR 1052 engine, GS 1000 ST, XR 41 Replica with GS 1085 engine,

Comment

Looks wonderful!
        sigpic

82 GS850
        78 GS1000
        04 HD Fatboy

...............................____
        .................________-|___\____
        ..;.;;.:;:;.,;.|__(O)___|____/_(O)|

Comment

Looks wonderful!
          sigpic

82 GS850
          78 GS1000
          04 HD Fatboy

...............................____
          .................________-|___\____
          ..;.;;.:;:;.,;.|__(O)___|____/_(O)|

Comment

The Cooley instrument panel is one of a kind.You have the "normal" speedo.

1978 GS1000C
            1979 GS1000E
            1980 GS1000E
            2004 Roadstar

Comment

Couple of other things you could check, a '78 Skunk carbs have the choke lever on the left carb bank instead of the pull knob on the rubber cover, and the oil filter cover on the '78 has a drain plug, the '78 rear set pegs are round, the '79's square.
              As far as the tank, if it has the lever it's probably a '79, repainting won't change the location of the badges which are a little higher, lower on a ' 78.
              Obviously the case emblems are for an '80 model.
              Regardless of whatever it is, it sure does look nice.
              sigpic
              Steve
              "The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Comment

Originally posted by sedelen View Post
                Naw, those aren't 1980 emblems, they are later. Agree the bike looks nice.

As for the swingarm goes, all the chain drive 1000's use the same part as far as I know.
                Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by sedelen View Post
                  Couple of other things you could check, a '78 Skunk carbs have the choke lever on the left carb bank instead of the pull knob on the rubber cover, and the oil filter cover on the '78 has a drain plug, the '78 rear set pegs are round, the '79's square.
                  As far as the tank, if it has the lever it's probably a '79, repainting won't change the location of the badges which are a little higher, lower on a ' 78.
                  You are right, my choke lever is on the left of the carb bank and there is a drain plug on the oil filter cover
                  The rear pegs were missing when I bought the bike but I have a set of round pegs that I will use!
                  I saw Nessism post about the swingarm beeing identical on all GS 1000's?
                  Could you check please?
                  sigpicJohn Kat

Comment

Originally posted by Rover View Post
                    The Cooley instrument panel is one of a kind.You have the "normal" speedo.
                    I kept my bike as close to original as possible except the "Cooley" color scheme.
                    sigpicJohn Kat

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
                      Naw, those aren't 1980 emblems, they are later. Agree the bike looks nice.

As for the swingarm goes, all the chain drive 1000's use the same part as far as I know.
                      Here's a picture of the swingarm.
                      You can see how the brake hose is held in place.
                      I've never seen this on any later GS 1000 ?
                      sigpicJohn Kat

Comment

A 1978 GS1000 swing arm.
                        De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

Originally posted by rustybronco View Post
                          We have the same swingarm
                          I'm sure you have the same diameter of 43 mm for the round tubes going to the rear spindle.
                          It's amazing to note that Suzuki reduced the diameter of the swingarm tubes in the later years
                          sigpicJohn Kat

Comment

If you reduce the diameter of the tubes, you reduce the unsprung weight. Makes it easier for the shocks to dampen the suspension.
                            De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
                              Naw, those aren't 1980 emblems, they are later.
                              Never argue with the big dog, Ed your right. I stand corrected.
                              sigpic
                              Steve
                              "The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Comment

Working...
                              X