Marauder rear fender on 83 GS L model

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Marauder rear fender on 83 GS L model

Does anyone know if a rear fender off of a 250 marauder is close to the same width as my 83 GS1100 L? Has anyone tried rear fenders of a similar style? Is there documentation that has these answers?

I have a intruder 1400 rear fender on my gs1000gl.
    It fit well inside the frame rail.
    To put it on your bike you will probably have to cut and weld.
    Marc
    AIR COOLED MONSTERS NEVER DIE
    1978 GS1000C X2
    1978 GS1000E X2
    1979 GS1000S
    1979 gs1000
    1983 gs400e

Comment

don't eveyone answer at once.

Well folks, to answer my own question, a fender from an 09 Marauder does fit the rear of a 1983 GS1100 GL. It is a very tight fit. I would think about persuading the rear to be 1/2 an inch wider if this fender was freshly painted but since this was just mock up i dealt with a little scratching. I had to drill some new holes to match up where the old fender mounted and I will have to fill some holes from where stuff was mounted on the Marauder but I will take care of this when I do the body work in about a month.

Last edited by Guest; 07-15-2012, 09:13 PM.

Comment

That, looks much better than the stock chrome one.

Eric

Comment

Some things worth mentioning

If you can't tell from the pictures, the fender is plastic. Some people may like this because you will shave a couple pounds and plastic is easy to manipulate. Others may say they prefer metal fenders. One other thing is that the hole for the rear light wiring protrudes behind the seat, which I will fill and relocate when doing bodywork. On the right side there was not a hole on the right side drilled for the blinker grommet. I drilled a hole for the grommet. I paid $45 for the fender from an ebay vendor and $13 for the clear LED Taillight which for now is doublesided taped to the underside of the fender till I decide what I want to do as a permanent solution. I could have went the easy route and used the original tail light/license plate bracket from the Marauder but I didn't like it. I have always been a fan of modernizing old things with newer parts from the same brand.

Last edited by Guest; 07-15-2012, 09:46 PM.

Comment

Not bad, but I think the marauder tail light would have looked better, too big of a gaping hole where your led light is, looks out of place.

Also, your left passenger foot peg looks to be mounted upside down

Comment

Passenger foot peg

LMFAO Yeah, that thing just kind of free wheels on its own. I have had the bike for about 3 years but only rode it occasionally so it really didn't bother me. It will get fixed soon.

Comment

sweet! I plan on using a v65 magna rear cowl on my gs1000.

Comment

Working...
                X