Plastic paint or coating?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Plastic paint or coating?

Is there such a thing anymore? I remember there used to be a liquid plastic product that you could dunk metal parts in to get a rubberized plastic finish. It was mostly used for putting hand grips on tools.

I found a small tail rack I want to put on the 550 but its chrome. I could paint it but I don't think paint would be as durable over chrome.

I also thought of rubberized "bed liner" would that work do you think?

Powdercoating would be the better first choice I'm sure but around here would be cost prohibitive.

Any other suggestions or ideas?

Cheers,
    spyug

Answered my own question: http://www.plastidip.com/home_solutions/Plasti_Dip

Now to see if I can find it locally.

Cheers,
    Spyug

Comment

Let us know how durable that is. I'm thinking bungee hooks and milk crate top boxes will tear it up pretty easily.
      Dogma
      --
      O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
      '80 GS850 GLT
      '80 GS1000 GT
      '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

I'd dip my tweezers in it to get a grasp on shims.

1978 GS1000C
        1979 GS1000E
        1980 GS1000E
        2004 Roadstar

Comment

You can buy plasti-dip in a spray can at Lowe's. I did and tested it on a piece of sheet metal. Seems really durable, and you are supposed to be able to peel if off if you get tired of it later. That idea seems to run counter to the idea of durability though. But, it does have a nice finish after spraying it on.
          Current Bikes:
          2001 Yamaha FZ1 (bought same one back)

Comment

Yeah I've been reading up on it and looking at some Youtube vids. A lot of guys use it on their car wheels and yeah it is removeable....but it seems to take a bit of effort to get it off. I imagine if the surface is prepped by abrasion ( i.e. sanding or scuffing) it will stick better. Most of the folks in the vids just clean the surface with thinners and spray.

Being how my rack is chrome I would be scuffing it up with abrasive pads and steel wool first to clean up the rust spots and give it some tooth for the plastic to grab to.

Since this stuff can be sprayed on I'm wondering how good it would be to use on a frame? It might be a kind of poor man's powdercoat but at $20 for an 11 oz can up here it wouldn't be all that cheap but still less than powdercoating. It could be good for wheel painting too perhaps.

I notice also that it is available in clear too so you could get funky with it i.e lay down a colour coat then spray it clear. It might be a bit thick mind you.

I'll let you know how it turns out.

Spyug

I'll bet it would be ideal for refurbing the plastic mirrors too. I'll have to try that as well.

Comment

I scuffed up the case savers on my CB750F and shot them with 2K paint.

Originally posted by spyug View Post
              I found a small tail rack I want to put on the 550 but its chrome. I could paint it but I don't think paint would be as durable over chrome.
              De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

A buddy of mine took all the chrome from his Mini and Plasti-dipped it. It turned out well and it seems to be pretty durable. And if you decide you don't like it any more, it peels off, assuming it didn't get baked on.

I've heard people using it on wheels then taking their car on the track (brake heat) then having a hell of a time removing it later.

Might be a cheap/easy way to add knee grip...

Comment

spyug, if you need some let me know, I can get it cheaper......and just about any colour you need...

my son has a couple of cans of the flat black right now...

and yes guys will do their rims on their cars, stuff will hold up well, many washes and so on, brake dust ect....

some guys are even using it to paint the car, portions of it, white car, and they will do the trunk, roof, hood.....poor man's vinyl wrap.....

it's hard to get in the GTA area, but the Mercedes guys we hang with use it on their cars, so we have a means to get it.....

let me know

no need to strip off the chrome, or paint, or anything to apply, and removal is not so bad, can get harder to remove the longer it stays on..

Comment

Question...

What is 2K paint?(old guy here) Nice paint on that Honda...
                    Originally posted by rustybronco View Post
                    I scuffed up the case savers on my CB750F and shot them with 2K paint.

Comment

Originally posted by chefrider View Post
                      What is 2K paint?(old guy here) Nice paint on that Honda...
                      2K paint is an epoxy type paint consisting of the base plus a catalyst to start the chemical reaction that the paint needs to cure

Comment

Thank you...

Comment

Originally posted by chefrider View Post
                          Nice paint on that Honda...
                          Thank you! I rather enjoyed painting it.
                          De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

Working...
                          X