my 1st paint job

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

my 1st paint job

here is my first attempt at painting anything, so i chose to do a helmet for my wife. let me know what you think. sorry the pics are so big
    silver base mettalic

finding center line

layed the decals 1 at a time

all decals layed out

laying purple over the silver base

removing the decals

finished helmet

Last edited by Guest; 07-24-2012, 10:51 PM.

August 12th is my pick day for when she drops it and scratches the dog snot out of it.
    Last edited by chuck hahn; 07-25-2012, 10:44 AM.
    MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
    1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

i am not worried about if it ever gets scratched. the helmet was my 1st time painting anything. i have my new helmet to do next and then I plan on doing my bike in blue with the hawaiin islands on the tank and a tiki on each of the side plastics

Comment

Nice job on the paint, but I am VERY hesitant to paint a helmet.

Some paints will attack the plastic in the helmet, rendering it virtually useless.

In your case, it might not matter, as it does not appear to be a DOT-approved helmet in the first place.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Fiberglass or similar composite helmets are safe to paint. It's the plastic helmets that are iffy.

The craftsmanship of the paint job are cool and all, but that helmet doesn't look safe.
          Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

the helmet had dot 601 on the back of it before i painted it, but i removed all the decals to paint it. the helmet is made by by a company called monarch. the age of the helmet is why this one is eventually going to be replaced. my wife barely rides with me and when money is better i will be getting her a new helmet, which again will be custom painted. this helmet was just my 1st attempt at doing any type of painting, not bad for duplicolor paint in a rattle can.

Comment

i realise you say money is tight, and your wife doesn't ride with you much, and that everyone goes on about helmet safety etc.... but i wouldn't put that on anyone i loved.. sorry. it's old and offers next to no protection. those half thing helmets should only be allowed on bicycles imo, 3/4 are bad enough in an accident but those... sorry, i cannot fathom it, honestly

Comment

Your stencils stayed pretty tight. Nice work.

The helmet is too old, not safe, etc., but you were pretty clear in another thread that this helmet is for paint trials, not riding.

I would not paint a helmet actually in use for riding.

Again, nice job with the paintwork. Now time to try out a tank . . .

Comment

Nice job, but you could get that orange peel texture out with some wetsanding and buffing. It'll shine up really nice.
                  Current Bikes:
                  2001 Yamaha FZ1 (bought same one back)

Comment

i did wet sand it and then hand waxed it. i got mos the orange peel out. but i kind of became wore out on it. I spent close to 14-16hrs laying things out and doing this over a week period. that includes paint dry time also. the bike will be sweet just gonna be a good while before i can get it done also.i was just happy i made it look pretty decent with rattle duplicor can paint

Comment

Working...
                    X