Me thinks I found a paint!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Me thinks I found a paint!

After weeks of frustration and internet searching I think I may have an answer to finding fuel proof paint. Hopefully someone has tried this; If not I will. I recently went to an R/C airplane event and was admiring several of the large scale models. I asked a friend how they kept paint on their planes when using exotic fuels. Everyone I talked to gave me the same answer: "Klass Kote" This company makes 2-part epoxies, primers and clear coats. They all mix one-to-one like marine Awlgrip and 1-1-1 with a spraying reducer. It has been tested with all sorts of fuel up to 100% nitro-methane with no effect on the paint. You wouldn't need a topcoat (Clear) unless you wanted to seal some decals or pinstriping. Price appears to be about the same as other good 2-part paints. Downside is that they have somewhat limited colors and apparently no metallics (which, IMO, have no place on a classic bike anyway). They do have all the military colors of all the combatants from WWII to the present. If some of you have any experience with this stuff or time to Google up Klass Kote, please jump in here.
    Niels

Looks like they might not have a lot of colors, but they will do a custom mix for you.

Comment

Looks like you could be on to something good. My only experience with epoxy I recall is wrapping surf rods, but a life time ago used to paint air planes and emergency vehicles with urethane. Was one tough coating. Am sure someone here's more current with these paints and will chime in.

Comment

Very interesting Niels! Could be a good alternative to some of the POR 15 Hardnose stuff as their products can get a little pricey... although worth the $$$ if you ask me

I think the Klass Kote stuff will have a better colour range though.
        1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
        1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Working...
        X