Painting the T

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah, I should have been more specific!
    Black is easier to spray because you can see the runs easier.

Silver paint is much cheaper, easier to do the final sanding and buffing on.
    Silver paint is also, in the long run, easier to take care of.

1979 GS1000

Comment

Agreed. Although I found it tedious to wet sand. I went through it quite easily. Had to shoot a fourth coat on one side cover. I'm not at all happy with my base coat. This was a learning experience for me. Next time I will take more time and precautions, with more coats. All in all it looks a thousand times better than it did. Next summer it will be perfect... Thanks for all of the compliments, they mean a lot.
      '83 GS 1100T
      The Jet

sigpic
      '95 GSXR 750w
      The Rocket

I'm sick of all these Irish stereotypes! When I finish my beer, I'm punching someone in the face ! ! !

Comment

That looks very nice, I would save the repainting for the next GS.

That paint looks like a keeper to me.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

We'll see. It has flaws that I don't like. I may just ad the second color to what I have. Not sure yet. I have plenty of time to think about it.
          '83 GS 1100T
          The Jet

sigpic
          '95 GSXR 750w
          The Rocket

I'm sick of all these Irish stereotypes! When I finish my beer, I'm punching someone in the face ! ! !

Comment

There's always gonna be a few things you notice later, but I think you're looking good! You can always add graphics or decals to cover flaws (if that's possible). Of course the flaws are always where you see them the most.
            The underside of my tanks always look perfect!

Usually what happens after a new paint job, at least in my case, is that rocks get thrown off trucks on the highway. Hail storms are common after fresh paint, not to mention somebody has to sit on the bike and scratch the tank with zipper. Those things never happen if I am riding a crappy looking bike!

1979 GS1000

Comment

Originally posted by gsgeezer View Post
              There's always gonna be a few things you notice later, but I think you're looking good! You can always add graphics or decals to cover flaws (if that's possible). Of course the flaws are always where you see them the most.
              The underside of my tanks always look perfect!

Usually what happens after a new paint job, at least in my case, is that rocks get thrown off trucks on the highway. Hail storms are common after fresh paint, not to mention somebody has to sit on the bike and scratch the tank with zipper. Those things never happen if I am riding a crappy looking bike!
              EXACTLY ! ! !

I have a couple of dents that I didn't take out that I would like gone in the future. I skimped on major prep work in the name of experimentation, and time...
              '83 GS 1100T
              The Jet

sigpic
              '95 GSXR 750w
              The Rocket

Comment

If anyone needs any tips on painting I will help all I can. I have been doing it for a living for many years. I have sprayed all the aoutmotive brands the knock off ones over the years.

Comment

I will be needing some advice when I'm ready to put the graphics back on it.
                  '83 GS 1100T
                  The Jet

sigpic
                  '95 GSXR 750w
                  The Rocket

Comment

Actually, you are close enough, I may just pay you to do it. Shooting ase/clear is one thing, but masking details is another. I want it to be right and tight.
                    '83 GS 1100T
                    The Jet

sigpic
                    '95 GSXR 750w
                    The Rocket

Comment

just let me know and I will be happy to help

Comment

Just tripped over this old thread. So, almost 4 years later and this paint job is STILL shining like I did it yesterday, and never did wet sand OR buff it. VERY impressed with the 2K clear... Will use this stuff for any and all painting projects...
                        '83 GS 1100T
                        The Jet

sigpic
                        '95 GSXR 750w
                        The Rocket

Comment

The "T" looks beautiful spyder!

Silver & Black is a nice touch.

Thanks for posting your work and your awesome bike!

Ed

EDIT: I just noticed how old this thread is. Lol
                          Last edited by GSXR7ED; 03-17-2016, 04:01 PM.
                          GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
                          GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
                          GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
                          Originally posted by GSXR7ED
                          Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

Yeah I started this thread when I started the paint job on her almost 4 years ago. Just tripped over it today and figured I would update that she still shines bright...
                            '83 GS 1100T
                            The Jet

sigpic
                            '95 GSXR 750w
                            The Rocket

Comment

Time flies spyder. I acquired my first "T" in late 2012 and joined here in December of the same year.

Ed
                              GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
                              GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
                              GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
                              Originally posted by GSXR7ED
                              Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

Yeah, but no matter how nice the paint job is, it's still a T

Just teasing of course Ed... nice motorcycle spyder👍
                                My Motorcycles:
                                22 Kawasaki Z900 RS (Candy Tone Blue)
                                22 BMW K1600GT (Probably been to a town near you)
                                82 1100e Drag Bike (needs race engine)
                                81 1100e Street Bike (with race engine)
                                79 1000e (all original)
                                82 850g (all original)
                                80 KZ 650F (needs restored)

Comment

Working...
                                X