Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

caliper paint twinpot

hey, wondering if you guys have any tips for painting these:

do i need to sand that factory finish (powdercoat? i dunno, it's tough and silvery!) to scuff it? primer? what? thanks!

twinpot mod, woot!

greg
    1983 GS 1100 ESD

Why not just have them powdercoated the color you want?

1979 GS1000

Comment

Depends on the paint. See what the paint manuf calls for. But being a brake caliper, you WILL get brake fluid on it and rattle can paint will melt almost instantly when it comes in contact with brake fluid so I agree with gsgeezer. I would have it powder coated if changing the color.
      1982 GS550M Rebuilt Winter '12 - 550 to 673cc engine conversion.
      1989 Kawasaki ZX-7 Ninja
      2016 Ducati Scrambler Full Throttle

Comment

yeah, i thought about powdercoating them, definitely the BEST option. i am a LITTLE concerned about budget....anyone know if they would need to be stripped or blasted or can they powder right over the old?
        1983 GS 1100 ESD

Comment

they will need to be blasted first before powder coating
          1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

Doesn't cost much and blasting is included in the powdercoating I have had done.
            I saw some prices of $40 each, which is not that much since you are looking at something that is going to last.
            A friend just had his calipers done red on his zx14, coool looking. (My EX in the background with boring colored calipers!)
            Last edited by gsgeezer; 09-09-2012, 11:45 AM.

1979 GS1000

Comment

Caliper paint is pretty resistant to small brake fluid spills.Get enough on it it will lift to but even the lees than regular paint.

Comment

Scuff it & hit it with caliper paint. The "Ceramic" one from O'reilly etc works ok. No need to prime first. Make sure they are clean.

Expect to have to re-finish them every couple of seasons... (you should be changing fluid on that cycle anyhow..)
                1980 GS1000G - Sold
                1978 GS1000E - Finished!
                1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
                1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
                2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
                1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
                2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

thanks guys! i picked up some vht stuff the other day, i'll give it a try. baked on, it's gotta do ok? and if i do it right, there shouldnt really be much stray brake fluid around anyway.
                  1983 GS 1100 ESD

Comment

What color, black or silverish again? I wanted to paint mine but my friends and Dad told me it was tacky. -.-

I'd do spray paint coat, and then a clear coat.

Comment

You need high temp paint.

No need to bake if you leave it for a week or so before fitting. Try not to cover in brake fluid when you bleed them.

Calipers get hot in use anyway.
                      1980 GS1000G - Sold
                      1978 GS1000E - Finished!

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

this is 900 degree caliper paint. i kind of get off on pi**ing my wife off by doing things like baking parts in her oven, cleaning engine cases in her dishwasher, that sort of thing. gives her something to occupy her mind while she is at work....

they will be going black, for a "stock" look. on my 78 i stripped and polished the calipers and m/c, i thought it looked pretty good. but this is not that bike...
                        1983 GS 1100 ESD

Comment

My comment aimed at "Ice" sorry... The stuff you have is the stuff I've used.
                          1980 GS1000G - Sold
                          1978 GS1000E - Finished!

Comment

Look around for a old toaster oven that's being tossed for the garage or what have you.Mine's ended up on the porch.Keeps the smells outside.

Comment

yeah, i was "kinda" kidding about the oven, ha. i have an old one i can hook up for just such operations.
                              1983 GS 1100 ESD

Comment

Working...
                              X